Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Could you please check if there is any grammatical errors?
Thank you so much!

Dear parents, principal, teachers and friends. Good evening everyone, I am ________, welcome you to our school concert and graduation ceremony 2019. First of all, I’d like to thanks dad and mum for all the love and support you have given to me. Thank you for sending me to this outstanding school. We’ve had good time in the school and learned helping each other.

Now we are going to graduate and we feel reluctant to leave. On the occasion, I represent all of the graduating students to express our gratitude. "Dear teacher, thank you for your love and hard work to educate us. Please believe us, we will continue strive to do better for our future.

On behalf of our school, we are very grateful for your continuous support. Wishing all of you have a pleasant night. Thank you.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Could you please check to see if there are any grammatical errors?

Yes, there are a few.

Thank you so much!

Laying it on rather thickly, aren't you?

yakuza

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Could you please check to see if there are any grammatical errors?

Yes, there are a few.

Thank you so much!

Laying it on rather thickly, aren't you?

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a better suggestion ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for your reply. Do you have a better suggestion?

Yes. Don't include any kind of "Thank you" in a post asking for our help. Wait until we've helped you and then thank us by clicking on the Thank button.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
dads and mums

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can I just check something? Is this really a speech to be read out by a child who is just finishing kindergarten? A child of 4 or 5 years of age?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear parents, principal, teachers, and friends. Good evening, everyone! I am Yakuza, and I welcome you to our concert and graduation ceremony for 2019. First of all, I'd like to thank Dad and Mum for all the support you have given me. Thank you for sending me to this outstanding school. We've had a good time and learned a lot helping each other.

Hm. A five-year old is to give that speech? (Graduating from kindergarten to college, I guess.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two more sentences.

Now we are going to graduate, and we feel reluctant to leave. On this occasion, I represent all of the graduating students to express our gratitude.

yakuza

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Dear parents, principal, teachers, and friends. Good evening, everyone! I am Yakuza, and I welcome you to our concert and graduation ceremony for 2019. First of all, I'd like to thank Dad and Mum for all the support you have given me. Thank you for sending me to this outstanding school. We've had a good time and learned a lot helping each other.

Hm. A five-year old is to give that speech? (Graduating from kindergarten to college, I guess.)

It's a speech for six-year old kid who will be going to primary school next year. However it seems pretty common here to let kid giving a speech at this age. :-|

yakuza

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Yes. Don't include any kind of "Thank you" in a post asking for our help. Wait until we've helped you and then thank us by clicking on the Thank button.
Sorry I'm new here. Thanks for the tips.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Dear teachers, thank you for your kindness, patience and hard work teaching us. You have set a good example for us. Thank you.

:up:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I hope the child understands the words he or she is using.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a speech for six-year old kid who will be going to primary school next year. However it seems pretty common here to let kid giving a speech at this age. :-|

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a six-year-old to give a short, simple speech but the contents of post #1 seem much more appropriate for an older child. I might expect a six-year-old to manage something like:

"I really liked going to this kindergarten. Thank you to all my teachers."

Even that might be too much for a shy child or simply one who doesn't like speaking aloud in front of others, especially in front of adults.

yakuza

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a six-year-old to give a short, simple speech but the contents of post #1 seem much more appropriate for an older child. I might expect a six-year-old to manage something like:

"I really liked going to this kindergarten. Thank you to all my teachers."

Even that might be too much for a shy child or simply one who doesn't like speaking aloud in front of others, especially in front of adults.

That's a good one. It's more like a kid version. :)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

This seems ridiculous to me.

Firstly, the language in this speech is not appropriate for a six-year-old!

Secondly, why doesn't the kid write his/her own speech? Don't you think it comes across as disingenuous that an adult has written a speech for a six-year-old child, who is pretending that it is his/her own words? If I were a teacher there, I would not be impressed.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher
-----

I don't think I've ever seen a six-year-old use anything even close to post #1.

I've even seen sixteen-year-olds struggle with writing something similar.

I'm not talking about using English as a second language. I'm talking about using language in general, and making your thoughts coherent when expressed with words.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Did the six-year-old write this or a text close to this? It does sound to me like putting words into someone's mouth.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And it would be particularly unfair to make a child who didn't enjoy their kindergarten experience to say that. They could say something like "I'm really looking forward to going to primary school next year. Goodbye, everyone!" It's polite and they don't have to lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.