Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
In replying a letter, when the gender of the addressee cannot be identified from the name, can I write "Mr./Ms. Xxxx".

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That sounds reasonable to me. It's what I would do.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Although it is possible, quite often, to work out the gender by searching in Google for one of the names- the first name will generally give a clue, though you might need a couple of searches to work out which one is which.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you really want to cover all possibilities, you would have to address it to "Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms XXX". If I were you, I would endeavour to find out the addressee's sex before writing to them.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But the OP is asking about replying to a person whose gender is not determinable by their name or signature. In this case, The postal address should begin Mr/Ms Jess Ticulation, and salutation Dear Mr/Ms Ticulation.

If nothing else, it lets them know that as a matter of courtesy to their correspondent they should indicate their gender after their signature rather than make people guess or go to the trouble of finding out.

Thus:

Yours faithfully,

[signed] Sam Widges (Mrs/Sir/Dame/Mr)

Last edited:

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
Although it is possible, quite often, to work out the gender by searching in Google for one of the names- the first name will generally give a clue, though you might need a couple of searches to work out which one is which.

[h=1]Searching in Google is useful for English names, but it does not apply to those names translated from other language based on pronunciation and written with English alphabets.[/h]

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that you need to say:

When replying to a letter....

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Searching in Google is useful for English names, but it does not apply to those names translated from other language based on pronunciation and written with English alphabets.

It can-I have used it with exactly this sort of case. If you find several pages, and Google Images will help further, you can get an idea of the gender. Virtually every variation of every English spelling of a first name is to be found on Google.

bubbha

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Taiwan
If you know the person's title (Dr., Prof., etc.), use that.

But really, if at all possible, try to figure out the person's gender, because some people may take offense if you use "Mr./Ms."

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
If you know the person's title (Dr., Prof., etc.), use that.

But really, if at all possible, try to figure out the person's gender, because some people may take offense if you use "Mr./Ms."

That why I hesitate to answer an email, luckily, the email is important.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your question is about replying to a letter.

The writer must be aware that their forename does not reveal their gender, so they've no right to take offence (BE spelling) if you use 'Mr/Ms'.

If they sign their name as Chris Cross, they can also expect to be addressed as 'Dear Chris Cross' (Chris can be Christopher or Christine).

The same goes for replying to an email.

Last edited:

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
Thanks for your answer.

I will write "Dear (Name appeared in email)".

Last edited by a moderator:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If they sign their name as Chris Cross, they can also expect to be addressed as 'Dear Chris Cross' (Chris can be Christopher or Christine).

Friends of mine married. When she took his last name, their full names became the same -- they were both named Chris.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In Japan, married couples have to use the same surname, and in some areas this law is enforced. It could be either, though it is generally the man's. My wife has a friend who is a scientist, whose first books were published before she married. She has to divorce her husband every time she publishes a book to keep her name as an author, and remarry him afterwards to keep her children's names the same. :crazyeye:

bigC

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Philippines
In Japan, married couples have to use the same surname, and in some areas this law is enforced. It could be either, though it is generally the man's. My wife has a friend who is a scientist, whose first books were published before she married. She has to divorce her husband every time she publishes a book to keep her name as an author, and remarry him afterwards to keep her children's names the same. :crazyeye:

Why she not simply put a note on the book to declare both names belong to the same person.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Some things are not that simple in different legal systems, and options would confuse search engines and webpages.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

It makes me dizzy just thinking about that.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My wife legally left her family and set up a legal family with herself as the head before we married. That way, as I am a foreigner, neither of us had to take the other's name. I hope that clears things up. The pronunciation of my surname in Japanese means extra-marital sex, which I don't suppose was on her mind when she did it. :shocked!:

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The pronunciation of my surname in Japanese means extra-marital sex [...]

Well, your surname might sound like it, but please don't worry about it too much - the pronunciation is actually a bit different.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.