[Grammar] the task of/for someone is to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello. Two questions here.:-D

In an English assignment, one of the sentences I wrote was corrected in the following way, which I can't understand why:

[Original sentence]:
I think the top task for a psychoanalyst is to represent as many hidden wishes as s/he can.

[Corrected sentence]:
I think the top task of a psychoanalyst is to represent as many hidden wishes as s/he can.

1. Why changing for into of?
Could someone explain what using "for" here (and in general where "for" is appropriate to use) sounds like to you as a native speaker?

2. I'm always having troubles using prepositions accurately. Is there a book in which I could learn about them? Or is there a list on the Net for me to check the prepositions whenever I finish writing an essay?

Thanks a lot!:-D

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
NOT A TEACHER
I think your English teacher made a mistake there. Here are two examples taken from dictionaries.
"The task of the union representative is to fight on behalf of the members." <- This is from Longman (LDOCE5)
"a hard task for the committee" <- This is from Oxford (OALD8)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I find it a very odd sentence altogether. It's impossible to decide which is correct because neither one makes it a good sentence.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I find it a very odd sentence altogether. It's impossible to decide which is correct because neither one makes it a good sentence.
Hello bhaisahab, which parts seem odd to you? Can you get the general meaning from this sentence, or is it even impossible for a native speaker like you to understand what I was trying to express?
Thanks.

azhu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
NOT A TEACHER
I think your English teacher made a mistake there. Here are two examples taken from dictionaries.
"The task of the union representative is to fight on behalf of the members." <- This is from Longman (LDOCE5)
"a hard task for the committee" <- This is from Oxford (OALD8)
Just to make sure I have the right understanding.
So when I use "of," I'm emphasizing the ownership, and when I use "for," I'm emphasizing the personal definition of the task, right?

khanhhung2512

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
So when I use "of," I'm emphasizing the ownership, and when I use "for," I'm emphasizing the personal definition of the task, right?
It depends on the situation. In this one, they are the same to me. Only native speakers can differentiate such subtlety, in my opinion.
Would the sentence sound better to you if I paraphrased it like below?
In my opinion, a psychoanalyst's most important task is to help the patients understand their various hidden wishes as much as possible.
NOT A TEACHER

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

Not so in my opinion. Both prepositions work for me, and I cannot decipher any difference in meaning between the two.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Would the sentence sound better to you if I paraphrased it like below?
In my opinion, a psychoanalyst's most important task is to help the patients understand their various hidden wishes as much as possible.
NOT A TEACHER

That's much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.