English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

Could you please help me make a formal letter of commendation out of this awkward draft?! :

Mr. / Ms. .............
Honorable (?) filmmaker,
This certificate is awarded to you because your movie was present in the noncompetitive / competitive category of (X) Film Festival.
We wish you more success in cinema.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Am I right in assuming that this film was shown as part of that festival but it hasn't won any prizes?

Donbelid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Donbelid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Could you please edit this one:

Mr. / Ms. ………………………
Dear Filmmaker,
This certificate is awarded to you in recognition that your movie, (………NAME………), has been shown in (NAME) Film Festival in Tehran.
We wish you more success in your career as a filmmaker.
(NAME) / (NAME)
Chairman / Chairman of International Committee

This certificate will be awarded to all filmmakers whose movies are shown in the festival.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This certificate is awarded to you in recognition of your movie, (………NAME………), being chosen for showing in (NAME) Film Festival in Tehran.
We wish you further/continued success in the future.
(NAME) / (NAME)
Chairman / Chairman of International Committee
"We wish you more success ..." sounds a bit like a back-handed compliment - as in, "OK, you managed to get the film shown. Hopefully one day you'll win something."

Donbelid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank you so much.
and if we wanted to mention competitive / noncompetitive categories of the festival, would it be alright to say:

...in recognition of your movie, (………NAME………), being chosen for showing in the noncompetitive / competitive category of (NAME) Film Festival in Tehran.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you so much.
and if we wanted to mention competitive / noncompetitive categories of the festival, would it be alright to say:

...in recognition of your movie, (………NAME………), being chosen for showing in the noncompetitive / competitive category of (NAME) Film Festival in Tehran.
It sounds like a strange category. I would expect, "... showing in both the competitive and non-competitive categories". If there is indeed a category called "noncompetitive/competitive", it would probably be called an "Open" category in English. I can't answer your question because I'm not sure what such a category as "competitive/non-competitive" is.

Status
Not open for further replies.