Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

While reading about news related to "Occupy Wall Street",
I came across a photo of "Occupy Boston" movement showing a group of people marching through Boston Common. According to Wikipedia,

"Boston Common (also known as "the Common") is a central public park in Boston, Massachusetts. It is sometimes erroneously referred to as the "Boston Commons"." Later in that same entry in Wikipedia, there is a section called "Notable recurring events on the Common".
Since it is a park, why does it not say 'in the Common'? Does 'in' sound strange?

Interestingly I also read that there is a 'Boston Public Garden' adjacent to the Boston Common, but it is called simply 'Public Garden' or 'Boston Public Garden', and not 'Boston Public'. ;-)

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It is not uncommon (;-)) to use 'on' for flat areas - on the common, on the pitch, on court (tennis)

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It is not uncommon (;-)) to use 'on' for flat areas - on the common, on the pitch, on court (tennis)

@fivejedjon, thank you. I take it that it is OK to use either 'on' or 'in' in this case.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Unfortunately no.' In the park' and 'field/meadow' are fine, but , for me, 'in the pitch/court' are not; I don't think 'in the common' is. If you are surprised that a native speaker should be unsure, it's because the more one thinks about it, the more natural some unnatural things sound - and vice versa.

Sorry I am not being very helpful.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Unfortunately no.' In the park' and 'field/meadow' are fine, but , for me, 'in the pitch/court' are not; I don't think 'in the common' is. If you are surprised that a native speaker should be unsure, it's because the more one thinks about it, the more natural some unnatural things sound - and vice versa.

Sorry I am not being very helpful.

@fivejedjon, no, it is ok. I understand the part about the more one thinks... I appreciate hearing what sounds natural to you. And to make it more difficult for non-English speakers there are the AmE and BrE differences.

While on the subject of 'on' or 'in', may I ask another question?

In the 3rd episode of Sherlock Holmes (BBC Series), Sherlock has John Watson examine a pair or sneakers and after hearing his observations, he says: "You're on sparkling form."

I am used to hearing a player or a cricketer is in good form.

Are 'in good form' and 'on good form' the same? Does 'you're on sparkling form' mean 'you are on a roll' (as some Americans would say)?

Thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both are acceptable.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Are 'in good form' and 'on good form' the same?

I would only use in.

Status
Not open for further replies.