Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As Japan's army of retirees grows and its work force shrinks, the ranks of free-spending consumers have been thinning. Among those still employed, workers approaching retirement are more likely to save than to spend. "The driver is in large part demography. It has to do with a shrinking working population. It also has to do with the country's historical high saving."

Could you help me with the bold part? I don't know what their meanings are. Thank you.

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
As Japan's army of retirees grows and its work force shrinks, the ranks of free-spending consumers have been thinning. Among those still employed, workers approaching retirement are more likely to save than to spend. "The driver is in large part demography. It has to do with a shrinking working population. It also has to do with the country's historical high saving."

Could you help me with the bold part? I don't know what their meanings are. Thank you.

It's a terribly phrased sentence. It means that the reason behind the shrinking ranks of free-spending consumers is demographic -- large segment of the population is retired or is near retirement.

country's historical high savings = historically (judging from the past) Japanese save more than than they spend; there's a culture of saving.

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's a terribly phrased sentence. It means that the reason behind the shrinking ranks of free-spending consumers is demographic -- large segment of the population is retired or is near retirement.

country's historical high savings = historically (judging from the past) Japanese save more than than they spend; there's a culture of saving.

But why the author used "driver" instead of "drive"? Can "driver" be replaced by "drive"?

freezeframe

Key Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

caronmi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks! Seems you’re here all the time. Don’t you ever go and get some sleep?:shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.