Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
i am a chinese and i can write an excellent blog on the website in chinese .however i can't exacetly express my feeling in english ,you konw this is awful .so my question is how to use the exact words and expressions to write a english blog ? i just register a blog on livejournal and prepare to update my blog there in english ,is reading more novels or books written in english useful?please give me some advice ,thank you :cry:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
i am a chinese and i can write an excellent blog on the website in chinese .however i can't exacetly express my feeling in english ,you konw this is awful .so my question is how to use the exact words and expressions to write a english blog ? i just register a blog on livejournal and prepare to update my blog there in english ,is reading more novels or books written in english useful?please give me some advice ,thank you :cry:
Your goal of being able to write in English is less daunting than that of someone who wants to speak in good English. Read good English blogs and articles of the type you wish to write about. Avoid reading bad English.
But the bottom line is: you're going to have to learn the language.

tuebr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Step #1 is to capitalize I.
Step #2 is to check the spelling of every word.
Step #3 is to put a space after a punctuation mark ( , . ; : !)
Step #4 is to put a capital letter at the start of certain nouns - Chinese, English
Step #5. Read, if you can, online newspapers that are written in English and are from countries where English is the major language - The US, The UK, New Zealand, Australia, Canada, etc.
Step #6. Begin a reading program of novels - start with Ernest Hemingway, John Steinbeck and Mark Twain
Step #7. Feel free to post some of your blog here for review.

Thank you so much for the suggestions and corrections, I will start to read these novels .:smilecol:

tuebr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Your goal of being able to write in English is less daunting than that of someone who wants to speak in good English. Read good English blogs and articles of the type you wish to write about. Avoid reading bad English.
But the bottom line is: you're going to have to learn the language.
You are right, writing and speaking are the same. Only by enhancing my English overall, can I write a good blog in English. I will cheer up and read more.
Thank you for your advice.:lol:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You are right, writing and speaking are the same.
I hope I didn't say that! You've probably left out "not".

Only by enhancing my English overall, can I write a good blog in English. I will cheer up and read more.
Thank you for your advice.:lol:
Writing a language and speaking a language are like chalk and cheese. They require different skills, and probably different parts of the brain.
Some students who can write a good letter in a language are very poor speakers of it. Ask my Spanish "teacher".

easybreakable

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Libya
Current Location
Libya
I've been shy for years, always wanted to share my thoughts with the others, but only last year I decided to make my own blog and started posting in English.
Ironically, I found myself more open to talk in English than in my native language!

tuebr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I've been shy for years, always wanted to share my thoughts with the others, but only last year I decided to make my own blog and started posting in English.
Ironically, I found myself more open to talk in English than in my native language!
Well, I am quite different with you, I am so good at expressing my thoughts in front of people no matter through speaking or writing, but when it comes to English, oh, I suddenly become a shy person :oops:

tuebr

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Writing a language and speaking a language are like chalk and cheese. They require different skills, and probably different parts of the brain.
Some students who can write a good letter in a language are very poor speakers of it. Ask my Spanish "teacher".
I reread your comments and found that I misunderstood them. I will try to find the differences between speaking and writing through my learning. Thank you again for your reply.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I reread your comments and found that I misunderstood them. I will try to find the differences between speaking and writing through my learning. Thank you again for your reply.
The most obvious difference is that, with writing a blog, you can check your work before posting it. In conversation, we have to say the right words in sequential order of time; and within the limits of our hearers patience, we can't go back over our words and change them, or re-arrange a sentence, or look up a dictionary for hard words during a conversation.

For similar reasons, reading is easier (for some) people than listening, because you have access to the whole sentence at one time on the page, rather than a temporally ordered string of words that disappear as soon as they're spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies.