Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I'm trying to describe a place which has many windows with differing colors. This picture will give you an idea:

456798.jpg

How can I express the idea that the color of sunlight changes as it goes through the windows? I mean I'm looking for an interesting way of expressing that.

The arched floor to ceiling windows had many different colors and the sunlight filtering in danced in all the colors of the rainbow.

Obviously, there must be a better way to describe this place. How would you go about it?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Sunlight streaming through the full-height, stained glass windows casts bright patches of rainbow hues on the aisle, bringing it to life.

Last edited:

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Sunlight streaming through the full-height, stained glass windows casts bright patches of rainbow hues on the aisle, bringing it to life.

Thanks.

What do native members think about this?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sunlight streaming through the [STRIKE]full-height,[/STRIKE] stained glass windows casts bright patches of rainbow hues on the floor of the aisle. [STRIKE]bringing it to life.[/STRIKE]

That's how I would change tedmc's suggested version.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Yes. I just joined that forum and wanted to see how that forum works.

Honestly, I used to get quicker responses when I could post threads in the Ask a Teacher section. But I was told I should start all my threads in the Writing and Editing section which does not produce fast answers. As you can see, none of the dear native members have offered their description of the photo. I understand that it is time-consuming.
Sometimes I need faster responses and I wanted to check out another forum.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Those are extra large windows almost extending up to the ceiling, so I think the adjective, "full-height" is appropriate.

Notice the filtered light doesn't just fall just on the floor, but the wall as well.

I don't see anything wrong with the "bringing it to life" part. The effect of the coloured lights is worth mentioning; they do liven up the space.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Those are extra large windows almost extending up to the ceiling, so I think the adjective, "full-height" is appropriate.

Notice the filtered light doesn't just fall just on the floor, but the wall as well.

I don't see anything wrong with the "bringing it to life" part. The effect of the coloured lights is worth mentioning; they do liven up the space.

"Full-height" isn't wrong but it is more appropriate to a technical building context. It feels out of place in this context. In the UK, we might refer to them as "floor-to-ceiling windows" but generally we don't feel the need to express how tall windows are.

I don't disagree that the coloured light "livens up the space" but that's not the same as "bringing it to life". That makes it sounds as if it would look somewhat dead without it. Even without the light, it's a beautiful setting.

Out of curiosity, alpacinoutd, is that the inside of a mosque in Iran? It reminds me greatly of the inside of the Blue Mosque in Istanbul, which I had the pleasure of visiting a few years ago.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Last edited:
Status