Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi guys(Sorry for my mistakes, actually I am a forgetful person),

Whenever I speak about the past incidents, I always use might have done(for the possibilities), but I read a sentence"I thought that they might be hungry", so I have a question, I have read that, might is the past of may(Sometimes), but I always use might have done instead of might, so is it right to use it every time or is there any special condition for that(are they interchangeable), could you please ellaborate(I hope i haven't made any mistake this time).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi guys(Sorry for my mistakes, actually I am a forgetful person),

Whenever I speak about the past incidents, I always use might have done(for the possibilities), but I read a sentence"I thought that they might be hungry", so I have a question, I have read that, might is the past of may(Sometimes), but I always use might have done instead of might, so is it right to use it every time or is there any special condition for that(are they interchangeable), could you please ellaborate(I hope i haven't made any mistake this time).
Your main mistake (since you mention it) is that your post contains one long sentence, whereas it should be several. Or perhaps you have written many sentences and joined them with commas - you can decide.
No, 'might' and 'might have done' are not interchangeable. "I thought they might be hungry" is a reported sentence; it could have used "might have been". On the other hand, in the present, "They might be hungry" is different from "They might have been hungry".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Your main mistake (since you mention it) is that your post contains one long sentence, whereas it should be several. Or perhaps you have written many sentences and joined them with commas - you can decide.
No, 'might' and 'might have done' are not interchangeable. "I thought they might be hungry" is a reported sentence; it could have used "might have been". On the other hand, in the present, "They might be hungry" is different from "They might have been hungry".

So that means, I do the right thing, might is for present and might have done only for the past, there could have been"might have done" in the place of might, is that right?, I also do the same thing in case of "would and would have done" but sometimes I use would as the replacement of will in the past, (actually, I am a dump person, so I need the ellaborated and straight forward answers, sorry for this).

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Unless you make some real effort to break up your long sentences and use punctuation correctly, I, for one, am not going to respond to your questions any longer. I have shown you in at least two threads what to do, and others have also corrected your posts. We seem to be wasting our time, as you pay no heed to what we say.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
(actually, I am a dumb person, so I need the ellaborated and straight forward answers, sorry for this).
Unfortunately, the elaborated answers are not the straightforward answers. You are asking a difficult question that is probably best learnt through experience and reading.
And I endorse 5jj's message. You must learn how to form a sentence.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
It can't be difficult for you to explain this, because you are the native speaker, Please.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
It can't be difficult for you to explain this, because you are the native speaker, Please.
Really, that makes no sense at all. I think there are two main reasons for this. Firstly, native speakers do not grow up with an extensive understanding of the grammar of their language. Most native speakers know almost nothing about grammar. In any case, being able to use a language doesn't imply being able to explain it. Secondly, one might be able to give a comprehensive and correct answer, yet fail to communicate it because the hearer is unable to grasp the explanation. (I only mention this because you say you are a dumb person, and dumb people don't understand difficult explanations well; it's not meant as an insult).
It's never easy to explain anything to someone who takes no responsibility and says, in effect, "You're the native speaker. Make me understand it". If you can accept this, maybe you could make it easier on all of us by providing some specific questions that can be communicated more easily. It does take two to tango.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.