[Grammar] Would you please correct these sentences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nefer2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear teachers,

Would you please correct the syntactic mistakes in these sentences?And explain why are they wrong?

1-It is rare to find two person who their opinions are the same.
2-I would like to speak about much problems which I have faced them since I come to this town.
3-I come from Egypt,that is mostly a Muslim country.
4-At the airport,I was waiting for some relatives which I had never met them before.
5-She works in a building is well known to most tourist.
6-There are twenty universities in Egypt,four of them locate in Cairo is the capital city.
7-There is a small partition separates the bed from the rest of the room
8-He is kind to people who works with him .
9-In the gallery,there was a colorful painting who it consists of a group of musicians which are involved in a performance.
10-My brother has two son,who their names are Jack and Antony.
Thank you very much .I will be very very grateful to you if you help me with these sentences soon.
Thanks again:-D

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1-It is rare to find two persons whose [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] opinions are the same.
2-I would like to speak about [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE]many problems [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE]that I have faced [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] since I [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE]came (or have come) to this town.
3-I come from Egypt,[STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] which is mostly a Muslim country.
4-At the airport,I was waiting for some relatives [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE]that I had never met [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] before.
5-She works in a building that/which is well known to most tourists.
6-There are twenty universities in Egypt,four of them are located in Cairo, [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] the capital city.
7-There is a small partition that separates the bed from the rest of the room
8-He is kind to people who work[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] with him .
9-In the gallery,there was a colorful painting [STRIKE]who it [/STRIKE]that consists of a group of musicians [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] who are involved in a performance.
10-My brother has two sons,[STRIKE]who[/STRIKE] whose [STRIKE]their[/STRIKE] names are Jack and Antony.

Last edited:

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

Would you please correct the syntactic mistakes in these sentences?And explain why are they wrong?

1-It is rare to find two [STRIKE]person [/STRIKE]people whose opinions are the same.
2-I would like to speak about [STRIKE]much [/STRIKE]the many problems that/which[or simply 'problems I have faced ...'] I have faced [STRIKE]them [/STRIKE]since I came to this town.
3-I come from Egypt, [STRIKE]that [/STRIKE]which is [STRIKE]mostly [/STRIKE]a mostly Muslim country.
4-At the airport, I was waiting for some relatives whom/that [or simply 'relatives I had never met ...'][STRIKE]which [/STRIKE]I had never met [STRIKE]them [/STRIKE]before.
5-She works in a building which/that is well known to most tourists.
6-There are twenty universities in Egypt.[STRIKE],[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]f[/STRIKE]Four of them are located in Cairo, [which is] the capital city.
7-There is a small partition which/that separates [or 'partition separating ...']the bed from the rest of the room.
8-He is kind to people who/that work[STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] with him.
9-In the gallery, there was/is a colorful painting [STRIKE]who it [/STRIKE]which/that consists of a group of musicians [STRIKE]which [/STRIKE]who/that are [or simply 'musicians engaged in ...'] [STRIKE]involved [/STRIKE]engaged in a performance. [Or '... a group of performing musicians.']
10-My brother has two sons, whose [STRIKE]their [/STRIKE]names are Jack and Antony.
Thank you very much .I will be very very grateful to you if you help me with these sentences soon.

Bertie

Last edited:

Nefer2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Oh thanks alot billmcd
I really appreciate your kind help
Have a nice day

Nefer2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Thank you very much bertietheblue

I hope I'm not bothering you but if I was asked why are they wrong what would the answer be?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

1-It is rare to find two [STRIKE]person[/STRIKE] people [STRIKE]who their[/STRIKE] whose opinions are the same. (Two = plural, therefore "people".)
2-I would like to speak about [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] the many problems which I have faced [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] since I [STRIKE]come[/STRIKE] came to this town.
3-I come from Egypt. It is a mostly [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Muslim country.
4-At the airport, I was waiting for some relatives [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] whom I had never met [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] before.
5-She works in a building which is well-known to most tourists.
6-There are twenty universities in Egypt, four of them located in Cairo, which is the capital city.
7-There is a small partition which separates the bed from the rest of the room.
8-He is kind to people who [STRIKE]works[/STRIKE] work with him. (People = plural = they, therefore "work")
9-In the gallery, there was a colorful painting [STRIKE]who it[/STRIKE] which consisted of (or simply "shows") a group of musicians [STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] who are involved in a performance.
10-My brother has two sons, [STRIKE]who their[/STRIKE] whose names are Jack and Antony.

I have made amendments above.

Remember = you need an "s" on the end of plural nouns.
The plural of person is (usually) people.
"Who/whom/whose" refer to people.
"Which" refers to things.

Nefer2010

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I really can't find enough words to express how grateful I am to you.
Thanks alot

Status
Not open for further replies.