Current Location
Vietnam
"Is this the suitcase you want to take on the trip?"
"No, I wanted ..... brown one."

A. other than
B. that other
C. that another
D. another than

Which is the correct answer? Or maybe the question is wrong?

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
I am not a teacher.

Which one do you think is right?

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello, thienan123456.:-D

I don't think I can agree with you. C doesn't work.
Only B works grammatically(, but I'm not really sure why it's in the past tense. Is it some sort of "distancing"?)

thienan123456

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hello, thienan123456.:-D

I don't think I can agree with you. C doesn't work.
Only B works grammatically(, but I'm not really sure why it's in the past tense. Is it some sort of "distancing"?)

If the word "wanted" is rewritten as "want", can you explain why it should be B? I

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm not really sure why it's in the past tense. Is it some sort of "distancing"?)
Yes, distancing in time.

In such utterances as "Good morning, madam. Did you want something?", we probaly have distancing in directness. The so-called 'past' tense makes the question less direct and hence more polite.

However, in "Is this the suitcase you want/wanted to take on the trip?", we are almost certainly dealing with time-distancing. If the speaker uses the present-tense form, s/he is enquiring about the other person's want at the time of the question. If the speaker uses the past-tense form, the speaker is enquiring about the want expressed by the other person at the time of that expression. Both are possible and natural. Both are equally possible and natural in the response.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If the word "wanted" is rewritten as "want", can you explain why it should be B? I
The tense of the verb makes no difference. B is the only correct possibility in that sentence whatever the tense of the verb.

thienan123456

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The tense of the verb makes no difference. B is the only correct possibility in that sentence whatever the tense of the verb.

Can you please be more specific with the point "that other" must go with singular noun or something like that? If so, what does this mean exactly? Thank you.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a very good question IMO. However, the first person is asking about one brown suitcase and the person is responding that they did not want the brown suitcase the person is indicating, but the other brown suitcase that is some distance away.

Status
Not open for further replies.