Please check my essay.It's just a beginning. I will post more parts when I write it:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
(I know that I made a lot of mistakes because I want to use metaphors which are different than in polish). So there is an initial part:

The concept of love is universal. It is so broad and multi-dimensional that through the ages we cannot catch it or define it. Some people believe that love is the most important thing in our lives, the only sense we need, the only goal that is worth striving for. Sometimes it makes us behave in an inexplicable and absurd way. Nevertheless we know, maybe intuitively, we act rightly. Following this idea we can say that a heart of a man is able to do everything to love and to be loved. And here lies a question: do we have right to fight for love, in the face of adversity, despite some serious consequences, and forget about everything and everybody? It is love that only counts?

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(I know that I made a lot of mistakes because I want to use metaphors which are different than in polish). So there is an initial part:

The concept of love is universal. It is so broad and multi-dimensional that through the ages we [STRIKE]cannot catch [/STRIKE] have not been able to thoroughly examine it [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and define it. Some people believe that love is the most important thing in our lives, the only sense we need, the only goal that is worth striving for. Sometimes it makes us behave in an inexplicable and absurd way. Nevertheless we know, maybe intuitively, that we act [STRIKE]rightly[/STRIKE] properly. Following this idea we [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] could say that [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] our hearts [STRIKE]of a[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]man[/STRIKE] can influence us to do [STRIKE]everything[/STRIKE] anything to love and to be loved. [STRIKE]And[/STRIKE] But here lies a question: do we have right to fight for love, in the face of adversity, despite some serious consequences, and forget about everything and everybody? [STRIKE]It is love that only [/STRIKE] Is it only love that counts?

Nice work/thoughts. A few suggestions.

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
And now the next parts. It would be very helpful if you could check it because there are some words which I have used for the first time. Thank god I am anonymous on the net cause it's a really strange feeling when people read your text in english...Anyway, this is my work:

The novel of Louis de Bernières does not seem to be so optimistic. Firstly, I have to point that Captain Corelli’s Mandolin presents different types of love, thus we should not treat them equally. Obviously, the main plot of this novel is the feeling between captain Antonio and Pelagia. But we encounter also the Greek’s patriotic love towards their own country, the one between Carlo and Francesco and later Carlo’s love to Corelli and also the specific one which is the background of almost whole plot – the Italian affection for music.

Getting to know the story of Pelagia and Corelli we can notice how complicated their situation is. At the beginning Pelagia does not realize her feelings, she does not allow herself to think about an Italian man as an object of desire. She thinks that as a Greek she should not associate with him. She feels that is what patriotism demands. Hence the difficulty is to overcome their preconceptions and regard each other not as enemies. They are torn between two values – the commitment for their motherland and the personal happiness. So now another question stands: is there something like a life together in a society that condemn your partner as an occupier? Besides, there is also Mandras who makes every effort to make Pelagia love him again despite the fact that her letters ( eventually read ) show clearly that she does not love him any more.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And now the next parts. It would be very helpful if you could check it because there are some words which I have used for the first time. Thank God I am anonymous on the net cause it's a really strange feeling when people read your text in english...Anyway, this is my work: (You should not feel embarrassed about your posts. Your English is very good.)

The novel of Louis de Bernières does not seem to be so optimistic. First[STRIKE]ly[/STRIKE], I have to point out that Captain Corelli’s Mandolin presents different types of love, thus we should not treat them equally. Obviously, the main plot of this novel is the feeling between Captain (use caps for titles) Antonio and Pelagia. But we encounter also the Greek’s patriotic love towards their own country, the one between Carlo and Francesco and later Carlo’s love to Corelli and also the specific one which is the background of almost the whole plot – the Italian affection for music.

Getting to know the story of Pelagia and Corelli we can notice how complicated their situation is. At the beginning Pelagia does not realize her feelings, she does not allow herself to think about an Italian man as an object of desire. She thinks that, as a Greek, she should not associate with him. She feels that that is what patriotism demands. Hence, the difficulty is to overcome their preconceptions and regard each other not as enemies. They are torn between two values – the commitment for their motherland and the personal happiness. So now another question [STRIKE]stands[/STRIKE]arises: is there something like a life together in a society that condemns your partner as an occupier? Besides, there is also Mandras who makes every effort to make Pelagia love him again despite the fact that her letters ( eventually read ) show clearly that she does not love him any more.

:up: b.

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
thank you once again. When I hear such praises I feel uplifted :)

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
phew! This is the final part. Hope you will help me one more time...

Although Pelagia and Corelli found themselves in a sorry plight, their love remains pure and strong. They were able to wait for each other for so many years. On the other hand, this situation was not entirely perfect. In my opinion, it made them waste a great deal of their lives. They felt empty and got no pleasure in everyday activities trying to forget about each other. Of course, everything has changed at the end. But the earlier longing was killing them inside. Could it be anything worse? So, according to Louis de Bernières’ novel, love does overcome circumstances but sometimes at the expense of plenty of sacrifices including happiness. All in all Pelagia and Corelli were together, however their love brought not only bliss but also pain and disappointment. Was it worth it? Anyone who loved knows the answer.

sunny838

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Please once again.. can you check it? Don't leave me with the final part :) To be honest I need it tomorrow...

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.