Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
can anyone refer me to mp3 files for learning the english language?
I am looking for things like files for consonant clusters, diphthongs, weak forms, long vowels etc.
The only materials I can find are video files from youtube.
Thanks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I remember a great book about pronunciation that I used which skyrocketed my pronunciation to new levels, it was called "Get Rid of your Accent". Don't be fooled by its highly marketable title, they claim it's used by British actors who want to learn RP to interpret certain plays that require it. I don't know whether that is true or not, but I remember it being very thorough. It came with a CD and it covered all the vowel sounds, semi-vowels, consonants, diphthongs and triphthongs (fire, oasis), and so forth. I highly recommend it.

You can find it on Amazon and in other places of dubious legality...

Incidentally, this is not spam and I'm not a teacher.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The way you worded it sounded like you were lumping Amazon in with those "other places of dubious legality".

emekadavid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Igbo
Home Country
Nigeria
Current Location
Nigeria
I remember a great book about pronunciation that I used which skyrocketed my pronunciation to new levels, it was called "Get Rid of your Accent". Don't be fooled by its highly marketable title, they claim it's used by British actors who want to learn RP to interpret certain plays that require it. I don't know whether that is true or not, but I remember it being very thorough. It came with a CD and it covered all the vowel sounds, semi-vowels, consonants, diphthongs and triphthongs (fire, oasis), and so forth. I highly recommend it.

You can find it on Amazon and in other places of dubious legality...

Incidentally, this is not spam and I'm not a teacher.

Thanks. I've bookmarked the Amazon page of the book.
emekadavid

Slothful

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
"Get rid of your accent" is brilliant. By the way, there is an app made by the authors which is even better (and cheaper), basically it's like an e-book and it also allows you to record yourself and compare your recording with the original sample.

Status
Not open for further replies.