[Grammar] What Do You Want To Learn About Grammar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoughOutline

Member Type
English Teacher
Hi,

I joined because I'm trying to write a short digital book on learning English grammar but I don't know where to start.

If it's not too much of a problem, could every suggest a grammar area from these 3 categories that they'd want if they were to read my digital book...

Basic -

Intermediate -

Advanced -

Please help me out and suggest a grammar area for each one, when the digital book is finished, I will share it here for free of charge just for your kind help :)

Thanks,
Matt

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi,

I joined because I'm trying to write a short* digital book on learning English grammar but I don't know where to start**.

*Good Luck
** You'd to better to start with your own lists, and then ask people what they thought of them. If you can't do that, then you may well wonder whether you are the right person to write this book.

Last edited:

RoughOutline

Member Type
English Teacher
I was thinking about splitting it into a series of 3 ebooks so beginner, intermediate then advanced so it helps with natural progression and learning but I honestly don't know where to start.

I know English grammar extremely well but I don't know what the first things that people want to learn are. Do you see my problem?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I was thinking about splitting it into a series of 3 ebooks so beginner, intermediate then advanced so it helps with natural progression and learning but I honestly don't know where to start.

I know English grammar extremely well but I don't know what the first things that people want to learn are. Do you see my problem?
You could read this site and find out what students are asking - frequently asked questions.
You could post your provisional list of subjects and, those of us who have been here for a while can tell you which ones seem really necessary for learners. After all there are plenty of grammar resources already on the net, so yours would need an angle to be any better than the others.
I'll post a list of the top ~ 10 problems that I see (later). Maybe others could add to it.

RoughOutline

Member Type
English Teacher
You could read this site and find out what students are asking - frequently asked questions.
You could post your provisional list of subjects and, those of us who have been here for a while can tell you which ones seem really necessary for learners. After all there are plenty of grammar resources already on the net, so yours would need an angle to be any better than the others.
I'll post a list of the top ~ 10 problems that I see (later). Maybe others could add to it.

Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to head over to the FAQ section now.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks a lot for your help, I'm going to head over to the FAQ section now.
Actually, by frequently asked questions, I meant actually read some posts and determine yourself which are frequently asked - primary research. Hmm, you could even participate in answering the "Ask the Teacher" thread for 6 months. :) That would tell you the type of questions you need to answer.

Anyhow, here's a few areas that are popular:
- Use of past and present perfect tenses
- Use of continuous tenses, and aspect.
- Use of correct prepositions
- Use of “verbing vs. “to verb” (“I like swimming; I like to swim”)
- Use of articles (not very grammatical, this one)
- Tricky subject verb agreement rules (“None of us is etc...; Peter is one of the boys who are good at maths.” – even teachers get this wrong)
- Proper use of commas (if you count that as grammar). Defining v non-defining clauses.
- Punctuation generally.

RoughOutline

Member Type
English Teacher
Actually, by frequently asked questions, I meant actually read some posts and determine yourself which are frequently asked - primary research. Hmm, you could even participate in answering the "Ask the Teacher" thread for 6 months. :) That would tell you the type of questions you need to answer.

Anyhow, here's a few areas that are popular:
- Use of past and present perfect tenses
- Use of continuous tenses, and aspect.
- Use of correct prepositions
- Use of “verbing vs. “to verb” (“I like swimming; I like to swim”)
- Use of articles (not very grammatical, this one)
- Tricky subject verb agreement rules (“None of us is etc...; Peter is one of the boys who are good at maths.” – even teachers get this wrong)
- Proper use of commas (if you count that as grammar). Defining v non-defining clauses.
- Punctuation generally.

Thanks so much for this great list.

devonpham1998

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi,

I joined because I'm trying to write a short digital book on learning English grammar but I don't know where to start.

If it's not too much of a problem, could every suggest a grammar area from these 3 categories that they'd want if they were to read my digital book...

Basic -

Intermediate -

Advanced -

Please help me out and suggest a grammar area for each one, when the digital book is finished, I will share it here for free of charge just for your kind help :)

Thanks,
Matt
What a brilliant idea! I will be the first one buy your book!
Well, there are some problems, I hope it will be solved in your book:
- Using of the tenses
- Prepositions
- Sentences Form (Conditional Sentences,... too many for me, but please list all in the book!)
Yeah, I think all of my problems are all included in Raymott's. But just one thing: Please be detailed, not only in writing but also in speaking, communicating, not only formal English but also informal English, not only BrE but also AmE!

Thank you so much! And will be more thanks if you could write a book which solves all of our grammar problems. By the way, I really appreciate if you could check for me all of my grammar mistakes in this reply.

Best regards,
Devon Pham

Status
Not open for further replies.