Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hi, I have been being helped by a lot of great people here and I am thinking I should have known this kind of good web site earlier:).Anyhow thanks a million to all.

Today's question is about proper nouns and adjectives. I know and learned one of the functions of adjectives is to differentiate nouns from others , Then, those below are possible?

e.g) Dynamic Korea, Happy Issac, the great Ceasar, Poor Hans, Lucky you.

It sounds like there is more than one Korea, Issac, Ceasar Hans and you, but it's not true.

Although I am getting the gist of it, I need your help to clear these up. Please help me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, I have been being helped by a lot of great people here and I am thinking I should have known this kind of good web site earlier:).Anyhow thanks a million to all.

Today's question is about proper nouns and adjectives. I know and learned one of the functions of adjectives is to differentiate nouns from others , Then, those below are possible?

e.g) Dynamic Korea, Happy Issac, the great Ceasar, Poor Hans, Lucky you.

It sounds like there is more than one Korea, Issac, Ceasar Hans and you, but it's not true.

Although I am getting the gist of it, I need your help to clear these up. Please help me.

An adjective is not always used to differentiate one noun from another. If you have mentioned several of the same noun and you wish to differentiate between them, then an adjective will help.

- There are two cars there.
- Which one is yours?
- The green car is mine.

By using "green" you have cleared up the confusion.

We use adjectives to describe anything - it doesn't matter how many of them there are. There is no reason why someone could not say "I have been to dynamic Korea" in the same way they might say "I have been to beautiful Greece". They are just giving their opinion of the country.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Oh, I forgot to say "Thank you very much":)

Status
Not open for further replies.