Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I watched this video about ​what people in [STRIKE]Corolado[/STRIKE] Colorado [STRIKE]thinks[/STRIKE] think about Donald Trump.
At the [STRIKE]very last[/STRIKE] end, the journalist said (no colon here) "This is an election that could turn on a pinhead."

What does this mean? Thanks!

The video link is here: https://www.facebook.com/theguardia...977308337360/1477056788988050/?type=2&theater

Please note my corrections above. It's important to start every sentence with a capital letter and add every sentence with one, appropriate punctuation mark.

It's not a standard idiom but a pin head (the head of a pin) is very small so the suggestion is that the presidential election will be very close; the two candidates will probably get similar numbers of votes.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The similar American expression to turn on a dime means "to turn suddenly". A dime is the physically smallest American coin, worth a tenth of a dollar. I imagine it puzzles foreign visitors, who wonder how much it's worth (it doesn't say) and why it's smaller than the penny, which is worth one tenth as much.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Even when we are told that it's a dime, that doesn't mean much unless we know that that's worth two nickels. That you sometimes call a cent a penny just adds to the fun.

We always call our one-cent piece a penny. Only the penny ("one cent") and nickel ("five cents") actually say how many cents they're worth. The ten-cent piece mysteriously proclaims its value as "ONE DIME", and the twenty-five cent piece tells its holder that it is a "QUARTER DOLLAR". The little-used fifty-cent piece adheres to this proud tradition.

None of our coins are labeled with crass numerals. :)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's because the American system was originally truly a decimal system. Well, it still is, though the mills have vanished.

1 dollar - 10 Dimes (tenths)
1 dime - 10 cents (hundredths)
1 cent - 10 mills (thousandths)

Mils still exist. They have only one l (I suppose because they can't afford more). Property tax levies are denominated in mils per dollar of assessed value, at least in my state.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It never occurred to me till now, but I suppose it was consistent that even when we had coins worth less than a cent, they were denominated in fractions of a cent rather than multiples of a mil.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Calling someone a "pinhead" is an insult. So I think there is some word play here where the write is taking the idea of turning on a dime while also calling one or both of the candidates "pinheads."

Status
Not open for further replies.