Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
5jj wrote:
I am closing this thread.
NewHopeR, you have been asked repeatedly to use one or more dictionaries to help you find the answers to your questions. We are happy to help people who have genuine problems with dictionary definitions, but we are not here merely to look up words for other people. Please do not keep asking us to do what you can do for yourself.

First, I genuinely agree with you that UsingEnglish has been helping people who have genuine problems with dictionary definitions. Second, be frank and honest, have I not beein repeatly declaring that every time I asked about the meaning of a word, I had had checked out at least three dictionaries before posting? (Three of my dictionaries are very easy to use because they show the definitions of a word automatically when mouse points to it) My sense of honor never allows me to leech other people to do what I should do. Usually after having checked three dictionaries and failed to catch the nuance, I would post a thread to get a hint.

But I've not done good enough and that is why the misunderstanding has now occurred. I think that from the next time on I will post the definitions that I look up in a word-meaning-thread and explain why I fail to catch the nuance and need other people to enlighten me.

Thank you for understanding.

Last edited:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Usually after having checked three dictionaries and failed to catch the nuance, I would post a thread to get a hint.

But you didn't provide the definitions you were confused about in this thread.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Try OneLook too-it searches hundreds of dictionaries and glossaries- it's a very cool tool.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think that from the next time on I will post the definitions that I look up in a word-meaning-thread and explain why I fail to catch the nuance and need other people to enlighten me.
That seems a very good idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.