Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Dear teachers,

Tense 'markers' such as for, since, already, just etc normally help us choose a tense. If we don't have them, there can be some ambiguity.

For example,

When I came, they (drink) champagne.

I've come up with three alternatives.

When I came, they were drinking champagne ( they were in the process of drinking)

When I came, they had been drinking champagne (I saw half-empty bottles, the people were slightly drunk)

When I came, they had drunk the champagne (the bottles were empty, a guy sleeping under the table)

Are the 2nd and 3rd alternatives possible?

Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear teachers,

Tense 'markers' such as for, since, already, just etc normally help us choose a tense. If we don't have them, there can be some ambiguity.

For example,

When I came, they (drink) champagne.

I've come up with three alternatives.

When I came, they were drinking champagne ( they were in the process of drinking)

When I came, they had been drinking champagne (I saw half-empty bottles, the people were slightly drunk)

When I came, they had drunk the champagne (the bottles were empty, a guy sleeping under the table)

Are the 2nd and 3rd alternatives possible?

Thank you in advance.
"Arrived" is much better than "came" in this situation.
2. is possible. I'd prefer, "When I arrived, I noticed they'd been drinking champagne." The fact is that they had been drinking champagne before your arrival, not when you arrived. "Before I arrived, they had been drinking ..." is also good.
3. The same argument goes for this sentence. "They had drunk all the champagne before I arrived." or "By the time I arrived, they had drunk ..."

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you!
"Before' and 'by the time' denitely make things simpler, but I'm trying to understand that nuance with 'when'.

When the phone rang, I had gone to bed.
When I came home, water had been leaking through the roof.

I hardly see any difference between these sentences and the champagne ones :-|

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
When the phone rang, I had gone to bed.

Frankly speaking I would use Past Simple in sentence #1 because this Tense seems more natural to me in such context:

When the phone rang, I was doing .... (something).

If you want to use Past Perfect it would be better to insert some word like "already":

When the phone rang, I had already gone to bed.

This is what I think about all this situation. I don't consider the original sentence to be wrong, but in my opinion some specific words are needed ti use Past Perfect.

Sentence #2 allows both Past Perfect Continuous and Past Simple.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Well, I took them from an Eglish grammar.

They also give the following examples:

When I last went to Moscow, they had been renovating St Basil's Cathedral.

When I met Simon and Pat, they had been riding.

And there're no time adverbs. It's mind-boggling.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Well, I took them from an Eglish grammar.

They also give the following examples:

When I last went to Moscow, they had been renovating St Basil's Cathedral.

Your sentences do make sense even without adverbs, but it's still strange to me to see them written this way. If I were to choose a proper Tense to use, I would have chosen Past Continuous in both examples. Past Continuous is the simplest Past Tense emphasizing duration and hence it's the first Tense that comes to my mind when it's necessary to say that something lasts for a long time. Past perfect Continuous would be indisputable if there were words like "for" (in sentence #1, e.g., "for two months" and sentence #2, e.g. "for 3 hours" or "the whole morning").

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
I'm afraid I cannot agree with you.
The Past Progressive implies certain duration, but it does not emphasize it. It just says that something was in progress.
You can use 'for' with it to put some emphasis on duration.
I was working on my computer for four hours yesterday.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Verona: Tense 'markers' such as for, since, already, just etc normally help us choose a tense. If we don't have them, there can be some ambiguity

One of the problems here is that some course books and grammars give the impression that there is always a ‘right’ answer’, and always only one correct tense. Provided we recognise that, the problem largely disappears. We don’t have to wonder whether tense A is more or less appropriate than tense B – they are probably both appropriate for the situation as their speakers see it.

Raymott (Post #2) )"Arrived" is much better than "came" in this situation. I agree.
2. is possible. I'd prefer, "When I arrived, I noticed they'd been drinking champagne." The fact is that they had been drinking champagne before your arrival, not when you arrived. "Before I arrived, they had been drinking ..." is also good. I don’t agree. That is not to say that Raymott is wrong, but simply that he would use a different construction than I

3. The same argument goes for this sentence. "They had drunk all the champagne before I arrived." or "By the time I arrived, they had drunk ...". Once again, I don’t agree.

Verona (Post #3): [FONT=&quot]When the phone rang, I had gone to bed.

I hardly see any difference between these sentences and the champagne ones
clip_image001.gif
Neither do I. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Milan[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Post #4) Frankly speaking I would use Past Simple in sentence #1 [When the phone rang, I had gone to bed.] because this Tense seems more natural to me in such context:
When the phone rang, I was doing .... (something). [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]But that is a different situation. In Verona’s example, the going to bed preceded the ringing of the phone.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

If you want to use Past Perfect it would be better to insert some word like "already":
When the phone rang, I had already gone to bed. You may feel ‘already’ is necessary, I don’t. Use it if you wish, but don’t insist on it.

Sentence #2 [When I came home, water had been leaking through the roof.]allows both Past Perfect Continuous and Past Simple. It does indeed, but there is a slight difference in meaning.[/FONT]
Verona (Post #5) When I last went to Moscow, they had been renovating St Basil's Cathedral.

There is no need for time adverbs (though ‘last’ looks suspiciously like one to me). The situations in both sentences are clearly located in the past.

Milan 6. Your sentences do make sense even without adverbs, but it's still strange to me to see them written this way.
Not strange to me.

If I were to choose a proper Tense to use, I would have chosen Past Continuous in both examples.
The past Continuous is perfectly acceptable, but it suggests a different view of the situation.

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I'm afraid I cannot agree with you.
The Past Progressive implies certain duration, but it does not emphasize it. It just says that something was in progress.
You can use 'for' with it to put some emphasis on duration.
I was working on my computer for four hours yesterday.

Much depends on what how imagine "emphasizing". Past Progressive does emphasize duration, but the extent of emphasis perceived differently by different people.

I think "I was working on my computer for four hours yesterday" isn't the best choice. Past Progressive is more often used when one action was interrupted by another or when two long actions were occurring simultaneously:

I was talking on the phone when Fred came
I was repairing a washing machine while my mother was cooking in the kitchen

In your sentence with "computer" there is duration expressed by "four hours". But the sentence will be fine with Past Simple:

"I worked on my computer for four hours yesterday"

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
[FONT=&quot]
Sentence #2 [When I came home, water had been leaking through the roof.]allows both Past Perfect Continuous and Past Simple. It does indeed, but there is a slight difference in meaning.[/FONT]

Please explain how you perceive this difference

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]If I were to choose a proper Tense to use, I would have chosen Past Continuous in both examples.
The past Continuous is perfectly acceptable, but it suggests a different view of the situation.

Which view are you talking about here?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please explain how you perceive this difference
Which view are you talking about here?
I'll be back tomorrow, milan. I think I have written enough on this today.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The speaker notes that the water had begun to leak through the roof before his/her arrival home. The leaking had continued for some unspecified length of time, possibly, but not necessarily, up to (and even beyond) the moment of the arrival.

When I came home, water was leaking through the roof.
The speaker notes merely the flow of water at the moment of arrival.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The speaker notes that the water had begun to leak through the roof before his/her arrival home.
I never said this was wrong - just that I thought phrasing it differently was preferable (as I still do).
As I said, and as 5JJ clarifies, the sentence indicates: "When I came home, I noted that the water had been leaking through the roof."

But, there's no need to be bamboozled finding grammatical but awkwardly-phrased sentences in a grammar book. The sentence is grammatical. Stylistic issues are a different topic, and vary by location and individual. If 5jj says this is normal where he lives, I'm not about to say that it's not right.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What Raymott said there is worth repeating:
[...] there's no need to be bamboozled finding grammatical but awkwardly-phrased sentences in a grammar book. The sentence is grammatical. Stylistic issues are a different topic, and vary by location and individual.

Very often people write in and ask, "which is better?" Very often there is no clear answer. Apart from the location and individual differences noted by Raymott, individuals are not consistent, I might use one tense/aspect form to describe a situation on one occasion; on another apparently identical occasion I might use a different tense/aspect.

Course books often highlight differences between forms in an effort to clarify matters for students. In real life, there may be little significant difference between several forms in certain situations.

I think it's also worth repeating one of my previous posts, with one word added: One of the problems here is that some course books and grammars give the incorrect impression that there is always a ‘right’ answer’, and always only one correct tense. Provided we recognise that, the problem largely disappears. We don’t have to wonder whether tense A is more or less appropriate than tense B – they are probably both appropriate for the situation as their speakers see it.

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
What Raymott said there is worth repeating:
One of the problems here is that some course books and grammars give the incorrect impression that there is always a ‘right’ answer’, and always only one correct tense. Provided we recognise that, the problem largely disappears. We don’t have to wonder whether tense A is more or less appropriate than tense B – they are probably both appropriate for the situation as their speakers see it.

You would be much surprised, to put if mildly, if you looked through a grammar or a coursebook written by my compatriots. You'd find out that your grammar rules are strict, especially when it comes to tenses :) From authors' point of view, there is -with some minor exceptions - always one correct answer, and the potential existense of other ones is simply out of the quesion! I gave up using them at all, but it had definitely put its stamp. I remember I was really astonished when I saw two alternative answers in the key section of some English coursebook, and it was much later when I realized they shouldn't be blindly trusted either.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
One of the things the web makes very clear is that there is almost never a single correct answer whatever the question. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.