Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of "give concessions" in:

[Cancer doesn’t give concessions, as another American, swimmer Eric Shanteau discovered.]

I get the meaning of the word but I still can't get the overall meaning of a disease gives concession"

Thanks.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
I think I would have got it if the word "accept" was replaced with "give".

grammarly

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Canada
I think the correct phrasing is 'make concessions.' If someone or something (in this case a disease) makes concessions then it means that he/she/it changes it's behaviour to accomodate the person affected; a policy of give and take.

For example: "The client in question is one of our best and is going through a tough time right now. I suggest we make concessions and postpone the payments on the business loan."

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can't negotiate with cancer. It does not sit there rationally and compromise with you and make "concessions" in order to achieve an amicable agreement.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
You can't negotiate with cancer. It does not sit there rationally and compromise with you and make "concessions" in order to achieve an amicable agreement.

Yes "negotiation"! It's like "Cancer doesn't know the word [negotiate]" or something like that. Thanks.:roll::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.