Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello Guys
I have a question about unspecified time. These sentences are in the past present or future tense, but unless they have a certain time mentioned
i have guessed they are unspecified time. But the more i thought about it the more i got confused, because something like 'its time you grew up' is not necessarily non specified, because it is a completed time in the past right? anyway please tell me what you think of the following:

1.1. I’m seeing the dentist at 3.30pm.-future

2.Can you ring me at 8.00?-future

3.(phone rings) I’ll get it.- non-specified time

4.If we went in August, it’d be very hot- past

5.It’s time you grew up!- past

6.Phone them when you’ve finished.- non-specified time

7.He will often get a lot of phone calls in the afternoon.- present

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Wally.

This looks like homework, which we don't help with.

Always capitalise 'I'.

Please amend your profile. There can't be many Barbadians whose native language is Zulu.

wally123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Welcome to the forum, Wally.

This looks like homework, which we don't help with.

Always capitalise 'I'.

Please amend your profile. There can't be many Barbadians whose native language is Zulu.

Mr Moderator,

Please don't discriminate against my native language, what I choose to put on my profile is my choice. Thank you for correcting the capitalization of the letter 'I' and showing me that an online ESL website moderator can abuse his powers by being facetious, as well as unhelpful at the same time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Mr Moderator,

Please don't discriminate against my native language, what I choose to put on my profile is my choice. Thank you for correcting the capitalization of the letter 'I' and showing me that an online ESL website moderator can abuse his powers by being facetious, as well as unhelpful at the same time.

There was no discrimination in Rover's response. We expect our members to be truthful at all times. That includes their home country, native language and current location. Sometimes, that information can help us to provide better responses to learners' questions. It is simple common sense and courtesy to be honest on the forum. Once you correct the information in your profile, I imagine someone will be quite happy to deal with the content of your query.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mr Moderator,

I am not a moderator here. Nobody here is discriminating against any language. And speaking of choice, everyone here is a volunteer, choosing to give his/her time to help people with English language problems. We will respect you, but we expect respect from you also.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Tense and time are not synonymous in English-you can use the past tense for past, present or future time, so focus on time not tense.

Are these questions from a training course?

what I choose to put on my profile is my choice

Not really

beesting

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
**Not a teacher**
Hello Guys
'its time you grew up'

"Its" does not mean "it is". "It's' means "it is".

Example: It's a lovely bird but its voice is not so lovely.

Mr Moderator,

He was just pointing out a fact. It's a fact because your native language has changed to English.

wally123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What does fixing my profile, have to do with answering a simple grammar query?

wally123

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We will respect you, but we expect respect from you also.

How have I shown disrespect? So far people here are just volunteering to give facetious replies, instead of trying to help, so maybe I should join in as well?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
How have I shown disrespect? So far people here are just volunteering to give facetious replies, instead of trying to help, so maybe I should join in as well?
And maybe not. If you have a serious question about English, ask it in another thread. This thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.