Money can overshadow the dearth of your personality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Money can overshadow the dearth or deficiency you have in your personality. If you are ugly then also you can get a good girl because of money. We see a lot of couples that don't look compatible with each other. Like a boy who is 6.5 walking with a girl who is half of his length (it's sarcasm) about 5. They just do not look good with each other."

Please check.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you mean he is six foot five, then it's written 6' 5".
You mean "height", not "length".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Money can overshadow the dearth or deficiency you have in your personality. If you are ugly then also you can get a good girl because of money. We see a lot of couples that don't look compatible with each other. Like a boy who is 6'5" walking with a girl who is half of his length (it's sarcasm) about 5. They just do not look good with each other."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
This is not a language point, but you do have a couple of rather judgemental statements there.

I am not judging anyone. Who am I to judge people? I am not at all interested in this thing but I just wanted to get my sentences checked. People say different things but I am not the one who does it. But it happenes it is a reality. I didn't want to hurt or vilify anyone it was part of my practice so thats why I asked you. Could you please check my sentences?:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The say about 5'.

You cannot say that she is about half his height; a more accurate figure is about 78%

Yes, this is the reason I wrote (sarcasm);-). Could you please tell me about my mistakes?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
tufguy, look back at post #5.

There was no need to quote Piscean's entire lengthy post #3 just to respond to the first sentence.

I deleted everything in the quote except the point you were addressing. You should have done the same.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have tried to tell you about your mistakes.

Quite frankly, tufguy, your English skills are not advanced enough for you to attempt humour or sarcasm. You will fail and/or possibly cause offence.

I am not going to say this to anyone. I would like you to check my sentences so that I can know my mistakes. Sarcasm I just don't try it. I keep it simple when I talk to someone. If you check my sentences I will come to know about my mistakes.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Again, tufguy, there was no need to quote Piscean's entire lengthy post #11 just to respond to the first part of it, and again I deleted everything in the quote except the point you were addressing.

You should have done the same.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am not going to say this to anyone. I would like you to check my sentences so that I can know my mistakes.

If you're not going to say it to anyone, this might be a waste of your time and ours. Sometimes, even your simplest sentences contain mistakes so it seems to me that it would be a much better use of your time to concentrate on making sure the English you are actually going to use is correct.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Money can overshadow the dearth or deficiency you have in your personality."

"We see a lot of couples that don't look compatible with each other."

Okay, could you please check these two sentences?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Why? In what upcoming situation do you plan to use either of these sentences to someone, in real life?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why? In what upcoming situation do you plan to use either of these sentences to someone, in real life?

While having a casual chat with someone over life and money. Please check.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In post #12, you said you weren't planning to say this to anyone. In post #17, after you discover we are reluctant to help you with things you're not going to say, suddenly you're going to include it in an upcoming conversation. How convenient.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and try to believe that you are planning to have a "casual conversation with someone about life and money" and that you are already planning what you are going to say to that person. If it's a casual conversation, then your sentence is far too formal. Basically, what you're saying is "The fact that you're rich makes up for the fact that you have no personality". Feel free to say that in the conversation but don't be surprised if the other person walks out and never speaks to you again.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In post #12, you said you weren't planning to say this to anyone. In post #17, after you discover we are reluctant to help you with things you're not going to say, suddenly you're going to include it in an upcoming conversation. How convenient.

No, you got it wrong but it is not your mistake. It can happen it's my mistake I didn't tell you this beforehand. I was saying that I would not say this to anyone. Means not to a person I would have a formal talk with but I did have a word with my friend over the phone on this matter. We are going to have a debate as well on this topic. I never lie to anyone.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Please reply guys now it has nothing to do with couple thing. I would like to know whether these are grammatical and natural just those two sentences? Why would I ask you if I do not have to use these sentences.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, your sentences do not seem natural to me. Perhaps:

If a man is ugly he can still attract women if he has lots of money.

Or:

A man who is not good-looking can still attract women if he is rich.

Or:

Money can make up for personality deficiencies.

Or:

Lots of people will want to be your friend if you have money.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, your sentences do not seem natural to me.

Thank you for your help and time.

"Money can overshadow the dearth or deficiency you have in your personality."

"We see a lot of couples that don't look compatible with each other."

I would like to know about these two sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There is no connection between your sentences. Please start a new thread for the question about the incompatible couples, but please wait until this thread is finished and you have completely understood our responses.

"Money can overshadow the dearth/deficiency you have in your personality" is grammatical but very unnatural. I can't imagine any native speaker ever saying such a thing. Note that "dearth" and "deficiency" don't mean the same thing.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you Emsr for your time. I should stick with "Money can make up for personality deficiencies" or "Money makes up for personality deficiencies". What is the correct way to say it according to you?

What does dearth mean exactly? I wrote it because it's a synonym of deficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.