on Monday/s

• Thread starter Natalee92
  • Start date
  • Views : 1,679
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Natalee92

I wonder if I can say, for example, 1) I go to school on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... instead of 2) I go to school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays..?

I've seen these two versions in some English books and wonder which of them is more accurate to say.

J

J&K Tutoring

We use the simple present tense for general statements about things that always happen, so these two can mean the same. They speak of your regular weekly attendance schedule.

If another tense is used: I will go (or went) to school on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... then that construction is specific to that one-time event.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If this is a repetitive process, I would use the plural forms. The singular might be interpreted to be a one time deal.

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I wonder if I can say, for example, 1) I go to school on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday... instead of 2) I go to school on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays..?

I've seen these two versions in some English books and wonder which of them is more accurate to say.

I agree with the other comments, however, I think if 1) is used then it is usually clarified in some way. For example:

"I go to school on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week".

"Each week" or "every other week" or a similar phrase, makes it clear that it is not a one-off occurrence.

N

Natalee92

Thank you very much for you opinions.I'll ask you one more question about this topic if you don't mind.
if I, for example, say: I play football on Mondays, the question to this sentence would be What days do you play football?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That works.

N

Natalee92

And what about What day do you play football? Which of the two options would be more natural to ask?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I would use 'days', but I am not a teacher.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And what about What day do you play football? Which of the two options would be more natural to ask?

Monday would be the answer.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
the question to this sentence would be What days do you play football?

It depends; if I knew you only play once a week, I would ask the question with What day.

N

Natalee92

OK, and then could I answer your question using the plural form "Mondays", i.e. "I play football on Mondays"?

Status
Not open for further replies.