Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I wrote this sentence:

"Right now everything is going tits up, odds are happening like clockwork. Have to restore my confidence back at the drop of a hat."

Here I used a number of idioms and I like to know whether I used them correctly. What perception do you native speakers get as you read this sentence?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I wrote this sentence:

"Right now everything is going tits up, odds are happening like clockwork. Have to restore my confidence back at the drop of a hat."

Here I used a number of idioms and I like to know whether I used them correctly. What perception do you native speakers get as you read this sentence?
Honestly, it's meaningless. Can you say what you want it to mean in another way?

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Actually I want to mean that, I have lost my confidence and nothing is going right. Odds are happening too often, but have to change this, that's why needs to restore bace my confidence.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Actually I want to mean that, I have lost my confidence and nothing is going right. Odds are happening too often, but have to change this, that's why needs to restore bace my confidence.
What do you mean by "odds are happening"?

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I want to mean by "odds are happening" is that "errors are occuring sometimes knowingly and unknowingly, sometimes by me, sometimes by destiny."

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
I want to mean by "odds are happening" is that "errors are occuring sometimes knowingly and unknowingly, sometimes by me, sometimes by destiny."
Do you want to say "things keep going wrong, sometimes it's your fault and sometimes not"?

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, that is about it. So does my original sentence bear this meaning?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, that is about it. So does my original sentence bear this meaning?

"Right now everything is going tits up", this means that everything is going wrong at the moment.
..."odds are happening like clockwork", this doesn't mean anything as it is written.

"Have to restore my confidence back at the drop of a hat", this should be rewritten somthing like this: "I have to get back my confidence quickly".

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
at the drop of a hat = immediately
so why that sentence wrong?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
at the drop of a hat = immediately
so why that sentence wrong?

It does mean immediately, but not quite in that sense. It's more like "without even thinking about it", "without hesitating for one second".

Q - Would you travel to Australia if you had the opportunity?
A - Oh yes, I'd go at the drop of a hat.

Q - Do you like your job?
A - No. If I could, I'd change it at the drop of a hat.

Adam Cruge

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Ok I got it...Thank you both for your kind help....

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also, bear in mind that "tits up" will be seen as somewhat vulgar by some people.

(The non-vulgar version we used in the Navy was tango uniform for the letters TU.)

I wouldn't say "everything is going tango uniform" to mean things are going badly. Its specific use is that things are breaking down and now working properly -- actually, that machines are "dead." The photocopier is tango uniform -- they won't have a replacement until Monday. You need to use the one in Building 9. Or "Good lord, what is wrong with things around here? Everything is going tango uniform. Did we not pay our maintenance bill or what?"

Status
Not open for further replies.