Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Having done a few translations in the area, I think they mean slightly different things. Normal metastasis "to" the liver might occur through the lymphatic system. But on the other hand, if a tumour was adjacent to the liver, it might metastatize into the liver, i.e. across a membrane.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I agree with kon. The only point I'd make is that local invasion is not called metastasis. For example, Basal Cell Carcinomas (a type of skin cancer) do not metastasize, but they can locally invade and destroy underlying tissues. Metastasis requires that cancer cells break off, and are seeded to other areas, so that metastases are not co-extensive with the primary tumour.

"Metastasis, or metastatic disease, is the spread of a cancer or disease from one organ or part to another not directly connected with it.
"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metastasis

Last edited:

Vigil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Which one is appropriate here?

Vargas1002

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Mexico
I will explain which preposition would be the best to use. The best would be "to" and not "into" because "into" would be like the cancer is a going to get inside the liver and infect it but just from inside, and "to" would be like the cancer is spreading to the enire organ not just inside. In conclusion the preposition "to" would be more formal to use in this case.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I will explain which preposition would be the best to use. The best would be "to" and not "into" because "into" would be like the cancer is a going to get inside the liver and infect it but just from inside, and "to" would be like the cancer is spreading to the enire organ not just inside. In conclusion the preposition "to" would be more formal to use in this case.
Your conclusion is only valid if the situation is that "cancer is spreading to the enire organ not just inside". If the clinical situation is that "the cancer is a going to get inside the liver and infect it but just from inside", then "into" is correct.
Basically, your argument is:
1. If the clinical condition is X, then 'to' is right.
2. If the clinical condition is Y, then 'into' is right.
Conclusion: Therefore, 'to' is correct and more formal.

There is a missing premise.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And missing logic.

mawes12

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me they mean almost the same.

burakodabasi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
United States

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I picked "to" and I'm in the minority.

Sudhir Ambedkar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Normally, 'into' is used to show transition or movement between two distinct places while the case with 'to' is different. It is used to indicate the extension of an activity or a movement. I am not sufficiently familiar with the clinical implication it involves; however, if cancer spreads from the outside of liver to the inside, 'into' can be used but, still, using 'to' is formal and more appropriate.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Normally, 'into' is used to show transition or movement between two distinct places while the case with 'to' is different. It is used to indicate the extension of an activity or a movement. I am not sufficiently familiar with the clinical implication it involves; however, if cancer spreads from the outside of liver to the inside, 'into' can be used but, still, using 'to' is formal and more appropriate.
No, you are wrong. The correct answer, given by a medical doctor in post #5, and confirmed, if passively, by a veterinarian, is that both are correct depending on the type of spread. The poll cannot give the correct answer, because it assumes that only one answer is correct. All it can do is show how many people guess each way.

Markchoi1992

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I think that if it is used 'into', It's gonna emphasises on the situation falls into another situation.
However, when the writer uses 'to', It might just state the event but not centres on the problem.

In my view, I assume that both can be used, It depends on what the writer wants to express in different situations.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Many polls don't have a right/wrong answer and are just starting points for a discussion. The discussion is usually more interesting than the answer. You will find texts with both prepositions, so the poll is looking at whether there's a difference, etc.