[Grammar] usage of the definite article "the", and a question regarding past tesnses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nina_SB

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Slovenian
Home Country
Slovenia
Current Location
Sweden
Hi,
I am struggling with a short text and would really appreciate your answer.

Is it correct to use the definite article here - "Some hour after passing the capital Ljubljana, the train rolled through the gray tinted city Trbovlje, a small industrial community dominated by mining companies." (none of the cities have been previously mentioned in the story ..)
In case this one is incorrect, could you suggest a more elegant sentence please?

in the following sentence I am uncertain about the correct usage of past tenses. Can you please tell me which version is correct (if any ...)
"What I had seen was in fact, as a quick Google search later would tell me, the tallest chimney in Europe, with its 360 meters, taller even than the Eifel tower. The chimney belongs to Trbovlje Power Station, a coal fired power plant, and it was built in the 1970’s to limit the pollution in the at that time Yugoslavian city..."

"What I have seen was in fact, as a quick Google search would later tell me, the tallest chimney in Europe, with its 360 meters even taller than the Eifel tower. The chimney belongs to Trbovlje Power Station, a coal fired power plant, and it was built in the 1970’s to limit the pollution in this, at the time, Yugoslavian city..."

Thank you so much for your help
Nina

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: usage of the definite article "the", and a question regarding past tesnses

Hi,
I am struggling with a short text and would really appreciate your answer.

Is it correct to use the definite article here - "Some hour after passing the capital Ljubljana, the train rolled through the gray tinted city Trbovlje, a small industrial community dominated by mining companies." (none of the cities have been previously mentioned in the story ..)
In case this one is incorrect, could you suggest a more elegant sentence please?

Nina

"Some hours after passing the capital Ljubljana, the train rolled through Trbovlje, a small, grey, industrial cty dominated by mining companies."

Status
Not open for further replies.