Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,

Concerning the below expressions, they areCorrelative coordinators and Correlative subordinators at the same time but would you please tell me how can I make the difference between them?

Either....or...
Neither....or..
No sooner....than...
Not only....but also...
Whether....or...
Hardly....when...
Scarcely....when...

Thank you in advance.

Ilki

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Correlative linkers consist of two words. When one of them introduces a subordinate clause, a clause that modifies another clause that contains it, we have a corr. sub. Otherwise a corr. coor.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Either....or..., Neither....or.., Both ... and ... Not only... but (also) are correlative coordinators. . No sooner....than..., Whether....or..., Hardly....when... , Scarcely....when... are correlative subordinators.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Correlative linkers consist of two words. When one of them introduces a subordinate clause, a clause that modifies another clause that contains it, we have a corr. sub. Otherwise a corr. coor.
Thank you so much for your answer. These correlative conjunctions join: noun & noun, adjective & adjective, phrase & phrase, and clause & clause.Yet, as I've read eralier, all these correlative conjuctions can be be both correlative coordinators and subordinotors. But teacher 5jj has clarified it.

Either....or..., Neither....or.., Both ... and ... Not only... but (also) are correlative coordinators. . No sooner....than..., Whether....or..., Hardly....when... , Scarcely....when... are correlative subordinators.
Okay, thank you so much for the clarification

All the best for you, and thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.