[General] All rise, please./ Please all rise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Which is correct?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which is correct?

Thank you.

The first, in my opinion. Having said that, the last time I was in a courtroom, no-one said "please". The bailiff (or court clerk) simply said "All rise" when the judge entered the courtroom.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The first, in my opinion. Having said that, the last time I was in a courtroom, no-one said "please". The bailiff (or court clerk) simply said "All rise" when the judge entered the courtroom.

That is what I think too. But I heard earlier today a Chinese host say 'Please all rise', which I don't think is correct.

The event was the Shanghai Expo opening ceremony, where the host said it in English asking all to stand up in response to kind of anthem playing thing.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That is what I think too. But I heard earlier today a Chinese host say 'Please all rise', which I don't think is correct.

The event was the Shanghai Expo opening ceremony, where the host said it in English asking all to stand up in response to kind of anthem playing thing.

To be honest "Please, all rise" isn't exactly wrong, it just doesn't sound as good as the other way round. If the sentence were longer, then it would be a different story:

Please, all rise for the national anthem of ........ etc.

But as a short, 3-word phrase, I think "All rise, please" simply sounds neater.

jiaruchan

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
To be honest "Please, all rise" isn't exactly wrong, it just doesn't sound as good as the other way round. If the sentence were longer, then it would be a different story:

Please, all rise for the national anthem of ........ etc.

But as a short, 3-word phrase, I think "All rise, please" simply sounds neater.

Does it have to be a pause after 'please'?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Does it have to be a pause after 'please'?

To me, yes! It's a little different from saying "Please do this right now" where you wouldn't necessarily pause. When you're inviting someone to do something in a rather polite way, I would pause slightly after please. I'm sure other people here will disagree with me and say there is no pause and therefore no comma needed.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think "Would you please all rise for..." or "And now let us all rise for..." sounds more familiar, but I agree that with the pause, it doesn't sound abnormal.

Status
Not open for further replies.