What do you think of native-speaking teachers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattt

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Portugal
Hello!
I am writing a survey about native- speaking teachers, their advantages and disadvantages compared to non-native speaking teachers, methods of their teaching etc.
I am very curious what people think of them. What is your opinion of native- speaking teacher? Do you think they are better, if so why? Do you have any experience with such teachers? How would you compare native- speaking teacher with non-native?
I would be VERY grateful if you could think of anything that comes to your minds about this subject.:-D:-D
Thanks a lot;-);-)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Please correct the information in your profile.

Domestos

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello!
I am writing a survey about native- speaking teachers, their advantages and disadvantages compared to non-native speaking teachers, methods of their teaching etc.
I am very curious what people think of them. What is your opinion of native- speaking teacher? Do you think they are better, if so why? Do you have any experience with such teachers? How would you compare native- speaking teacher with non-native?
I would be VERY grateful if you could think of anything that comes to your minds about this subject.:-D:-D
Thanks a lot;-);-)

Look, I think that native speakers are the best option for any student as they can explain concepts of words, which is to my mind a lot more important than to give a translation. Yet, it might be difficult for beginners to feel comfortable with a native speaker so in my opinion at beginner levels there must be a non-native speaking teacher to inspire them to study English no matter what. Or maybe there should be both teachers. I mean, let's say there are two teachers for a group and they work together but not during the same lesson, but taking turns. e.g. Native speaker takes lessons 1,3,5 and non-native 2,4,6. I used to be a part of such an experiment an it was pretty nice)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I depends on the individual- an ignorant native teacher may make few mistakes, but may not know how to explain things. I do not think that they are automatically better. However, there are also plenty of non-native teachers who are far from expert. Expertise, knowledge and ability in the classroom matter more than first language IMO.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My wife is French and when we were teaching English together in France, the beginners often preferred her because they could understand her French accented English better than my English English. More experienced learners preferred my "authentic" accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.