Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
China
I am a new here, I am looking for a job to be a foreign teacher in China,but I hear there are some new rule about getting the working visa if you want to be a teacher. Is there any Certificate I should have first? TEFL? TESOL? Ana I also know one is called TEFL in China, is this certificate is uesfull or not?:-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] new here. I am looking for a job [STRIKE]to be[/STRIKE] as a foreign language teacher in China (no comma here) but I hear there are some new rules about getting [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a working visa if you want to be a teacher. Is there any certificate I should have first? TEFL? TESOL? [STRIKE]Ana[/STRIKE] I also know one [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] called TEFL in China. Is this certificate [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]uesfull[/STRIKE] useful or not? :-D

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I have no experience of teaching in China although I'm sure one of our teachers based there will be able to give you some useful information. However, I can safely say that in this day and age, trying to get a decent job anywhere without a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA qualification will be very difficult. You need to bear in mind that in order to get a place on most courses for those qualifications, your English needs to be near-native. Have a look at my corrections to your post above, in red. You might need to work on your own English a little more before you're ready for a qualification as an English teacher.

J

J&K Tutoring

I recently got my working visa in China. Being a native speaker was a help, so you begin at perhaps some disadvantage, unfortunately.

How is it that you are already here? If you are already teaching in China, then the people you work for should be motivated to help, but there's only so much they can do- especially if the person responsible doesn't know how to proceed with the mountain of paperwork. I had the assistance of a friend with connections in the local government and a native-speaking spouse to fill out and deliver forms. I'd be on my way out of the country if I had to rely on the school for help.

It also depends on the local situation. A city with few foreigners may be motivated to relax requirements (if they can), but no one knows how to handle the paperwork. If there are many foreigners, there may be someone to help you, but there will also be someone to take your place.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.