Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"The damages caused by the accident amount to $100,000 never have they addressed no one for help,this time they have been forced to address the local authorities for damages."

Is it OK with "never have they addressed no one..."? Do I ask for damages or reimbursements?

Last edited:

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
"The damages caused by the accident amount to 100.000$, never have they addressed no one for help,this time they have been forced to address the local authorities for damages."

Is it OK with "never have they addressed no one..."? No. It should read "never have they addressed anyone..." Do I get ask for damages or reimbursements? "Damages" can be used as a synonym for "compensation." "Reimbursement" does not convey the same meaning.
Ostap,
While you post many interesting questions, they are often not carefully presented, viz the comma splices above. Also, the US dollar sign precedes the numerical value. We would write $100,000
Henry

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Ostap,
While you post many interesting questions, they are often not carefully presented, viz the comma splices above. Also, the US dollar sign precedes the numerical value. We would write $100,000
Henry

1)Would it make sense, if I put this way "Never and no one have they addressed for help..."?

2)Would it sound OK if I slightly alter it "Being caused by the accident, the damages amount to....." or "The damages,being caused by the accident, amount to......"?

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1)Would it make sense, if I put this way "Never and no one have they addressed for help..."?

2)Would it sound OK if I slightly alter it "Being caused by the accident, the damages amount to....." or "The damages,being caused by the accident, amount to......"?
No.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1) is incorrect. In 2) "being caused...." is redundant or just incorrect?
An accident can cause damage not damages. As riquecohen pointed out damages = compensation.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
An accident can cause damage not damages. As riquecohen pointed out damages = compensation.[/QUOTE
"An accident can cause damage not damages." So damage can cause damages?

Can "damage" amount to a certain sum? If so, would it be correct to say "Being caused by the accident, the damage amounts to..........." and in the end use "address the local authorities for damages"?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
An accident can cause damage not damages. As riquecohen pointed out damages = compensation.[/QUOTE
"An accident can cause damage not damages." So damage can cause damages?

Can "damage" amount to a certain sum? If so, would it be correct to say "Being caused by the accident, the damage amounts to..........." and in the end use "address the local authorities for damages"?
You could say "The accident caused £1,000 worth of damage", for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.