cnjackie88

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello guys, I'm a English learner from China. It is very common we are afraid of speaking English(NOT confident).
I hope to improve my spoken English step by step. Below is my pronunciation,hope you can help me. Many thanks.

"Since Dolphins are like human being in so many ways. For example, dolphins have a special respiratory just like humans. The only difference is that dolphins are able to stay underwater for a long time without breathing oxygen. But how do dolphins manage to sleep without drowning?"

https://voca.ro/5Nrp1Os2UjR

Another question: I'm not clear when I read sentences,where should I pause? This also confuses me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Reading sentences is not a good way to work on pronunciation as the intonation tends to be artificial.

cnjackie88

Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Reading sentences is not a good way to work on pronunciation as the intonation tends to be artificial.

So what is the bset way ?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So what is the [STRIKE]bset[/STRIKE] best way?

Try recording yourself talking about something personal, such as a brief description of somewhere you have been on holiday (vacation), or what did you did at work/school today. Don't plan it or write it down. Just start talking. Give us about 30 seconds of speech.

rhymegrace04

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
Denmark
Not a teacher

hi,i'm also from china and i am currently a freshman of high school. i've been exposed to english since i was five so i was super confident abt my pronunciation. First and foremost,reading out loud is definitely the golden rule of practising ur pronunciaion. Secondly,if it's available,i recommend u that u should find a english show that u r interested in(for instance,i love the chicken girls series on youtube,i tried to act like certain characters and learn their accents as well!) Lastly,be confident! u gotta believe u'll ultimatley success! as a saying says,labor vanqiushes all,not incostant,spasmotic or ill-directed labor,but faithful,unremitting,daily effort towards a well directed purpose.Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not a teacher

Hi. space hereI'm also from China and I am currently a freshman [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in high school. I've been exposed to English since I was five so I was super confident [STRIKE]abt[/STRIKE] about my pronunciation. First and foremost, space here reading out loud is definitely the golden rule of practising [STRIKE]ur[/STRIKE] your pronunciation. space here Secondly, space here if it's available, space here I recommend that you that [STRIKE]u should[/STRIKE] find an English show that [STRIKE]u r[/STRIKE] you are interested in space here (for instance, space here I love "The Chicken Girls" series on Youtube. space here I tried to act like certain characters and learn their accents as well!) space here Lastly, space here be confident! You have [STRIKE]gotta[/STRIKE] got to believe you'll ultimately [STRIKE]success[/STRIKE] succeed! As [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the saying [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] goes, space here labor vanquishes all; space here not inconstant, space here spasmodic or ill-directed labor, space here but faithful, space here unremitting, space here daily effort towards a well-directed purpose. space here Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, rhymegrace04. :hi:

Please note my multiple corrections to your post above. Your pronunciation might be great (we have no idea if that's true) but your written English needs a lot of work, particularly with your capitalisation, and your spacing around punctuation.

Status
Not open for further replies.