Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
"Last week I was in this class." (said by a student at the end of an English lesson)- Past simple or past perfect? or even past continuous?

"I went to bed" / "Sunday, I went to a car boot sale" - Would you say this is past perfect/past simple or just the past tense?

Any past tense professionals out there who can shed some light?

Thank you.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"Last week I was in this class." (said by a student at the end of an English lesson)- Past simple or past perfect? or even past continuous?

"I went to bed" / "Sunday, I went to a car boot sale" - Would you say this is past perfect/past simple or just the past tense?

Any past tense professionals out there who can shed some light?

Thank you.
It doesn't require a past tense professional.
The verbs are "was" and "went". These are the "simple past", (or the "past simple", or simply, the "past tense").

They can't be a perfect tense, because they don't use an auxiliary (have, has, had) or a past participle. "I had been in class" is past perfect. 'Been' is the past participle of "to be"
They can't be continuous because there's no auxiliary (is, was, am, etc.) or present participle. "I was going to bed" is past continuous. 'Going' is the present participle of 'to go'.

Status
Not open for further replies.