Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Sigining memoranda on provision of ABC's products and delivery of the products

The above is the title of a document that describes two things. One is signing procedures for memoranda on provision of products of a company called ABC (to another company). The other is procedures for delivery of the products.

Q1: Should I say "Signature on" instead of "Signing"?

Q2: Should I say "delivering" because I used "ing" for "Signing"? Is it necessary to match the form of two verbs, "sign" and "deliver"?

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sigining memoranda on provision of ABC's products and delivery of the products"?
First of all, be sure to spell "signing" correctly! Also, memoranda is plural; memorandum is singular. How many memoranda are we talking about?

The above is the title of a document that describes two things. One is signing procedures for memoranda on provision of products of a company called ABC (to another company). The other is procedures for delivery of the products.

Q1: Should I say "Signature on" instead of "Signing"?
No. In fact, I think "signing memorandum" is a standard business term.

Q2: Should I say "delivering" because I used "ing" for "Signing"? Is it necessary to match the form of two verbs, "sign" and "deliver"?
No, these two words are grammatically unrelated (see above: signing is an adjective). If you separate out the two things that the document refers to, it becomes easier:
- Signing memorandum on provision of ABC's products and [signing memorandum on] delivery of the products.

One last thing: If there are two (2) memoranda, then you should probably say:
- Signing memoranda on provision of ABC's products and on delivery of the products.

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you for answering my question, but there seems to be a misundertanding.

Also, memoranda is plural; memorandum is singular. How many memoranda are we talking about?

There are two memoranda. That's why I wrote "memoranda", not "memorandum". One is "Memorandum on provision of ABC's products" and the other is "Memorandum on handring of safety management information".

No, these two words are grammatically unrelated (see above: signing is an adjective). If you separate out the two things that the document refers to, it becomes easier:
- Signing memorandum on provision of ABC's products and [signing memorandum on] delivery of the products.

I want to make these two things (the act of signing and the act of delivering) parallel. This is the title of a document which describes about signing procedures and delivering procedures, NOT signing procedures on provision and on delivery.
Also, I don't think "signing" is an adjective. I used it as a gerund.
Do other native speakers agree "signing" is an adjective???

One last thing: If there are two (2) memoranda, then you should probably say:
- Signing memoranda on provision of ABC's products and on delivery of the products.

There are two memoranda, but neither of them is not on delivery of the products.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Signing memoranda on provision of ABC's products and delivery of the products

Q1: Should I say "Signature on" instead of "Signing"? No

Q2: Should I say "delivering" because I used "ing" for "Signing"? Is it necessary to match the form of two verbs, "sign" and "deliver"? No
I think your title is reasonable and grammatical. But it's ambiguous - it does suggest that "Signing of memoranda on the delivery of products" is included.
You do have parallelism. Both 'signing' and 'delivery' are nouns. (Signing is a gerund noun).
You could consider, "Signing of memoranda on ... " because that gives you the parallelism of "Signing of A and delivery of B" But the ambiguity remains, and you'll have to decide whether it's important, or whether the reader should know by context what you mean.

Last edited:

pinkie9

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you. Let me confirm just one more thing.

Is it incorrect if I say "Signature on" instead of "Signing" here? "Signature" can mean the act of signing, can't it? (I ask this because I learned that "gift" can mean the act of giving in another thread: https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/188614-noun-form-give.html ) Ah yes, I remember.
If not, how can you tell the noun can mean the act or not?
I assume that this is heading of piece that explains about signing memoranda; it's about signing memoranda. You could say that it's about the signature on memoranda, but that's not the natural way of saying it. (An analogy: Q: Why not change 'delivery' to 'deliverance'? A: i. It's unnecessary. ii. It sounds unnatural).

You can't always tell if a noun formed from a word can mean the act. Often there are a few nouns from the same word, and one is more natural than the others for various purposes. Naturally, a dictionary is a the best way to find out.

v sign

signed, sign·ing, signs

v.tr.1. To affix one's signature to.
2. To write (one's signature).
3. To approve or ratify (a document) by affixing a signature, seal, or other mark: sign a bill into law.

signing - definition of signing by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

If 'to sign' means 'to affix a signature', then "Signing memoranda" means "Affixing a signature to memoranda".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: - the OP seems fixated on the phrase 'signature on'. This phrase does occur, but in this context: 'signature [of some piece of paper] on [=at the time of] delivery'.

b

PS The structure '<noun> on<noun>' is common in phrases like 'cash on delivery' (sometimes abbreviated to 'COD'), 'printing on demand', 'payment on completion'...

Last edited:

mayita1usa

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm glad you all got this figured out! :-D I just want to explain why I was so confused in the first place:

The term "signing memorandum" is sometimes used in legal, governmental and financial contexts: "A signing memorandum outlines the documents signed or provided at signing, such as powers of attorney, minutes of board of directors' meetings, ..."

In this case, the word "signing" is an adjective telling what kind of memorandum it is, and this is what I thought the OP was talking about.

That being said, I still think the original title is extremely ambiguous and confusing. Using the OP's own words, I would title the document this way:

Signing Procedures for Memoranda on Provision of Products and Procedures for Delivery of Products

(This is following American rules for capitalization of titles; not sure if that's applicable.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.