[General] NEED HELP from native English speakers URGENTLY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
I work at a publishing house, and there arose a question concerning a particularity of English I can't work out. This is really URGENT. Hope you will help me.

I need to write the imprint of a calendar in English, and I'm confused about how to draw it up correctly. So I wrote,

) Loose-leaf wall calendar “the name of a calenar”
2) “Artia Group” (the name of a publishing house)
3) the publishing & printing-house

My questions are:
1. Is this sequence 1, 2, 3 correct, or I should write point 1, 3, and 2?
2. Should I write point 3 with the capitals, like "The Publishing & Printing House"?
3. Do you write "loose-leaf" if it is characterized so, or you just write "Wall calendar" and that's enough? (I understand that it is a specific question, so it will be OK not to answer it)
4. Do you write the nouns in titles with capitals, like "Embankment of the River ...", or the variant "Embankment of the river ..." is OK?
5. And the last one. Do you write articles in titles, like "The Embankment of the River...."?

Thanks a lot to everyone who will respond to my request!!!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I work at a publishing house, and there arose a question concerning a particularity of English I can't work out. This is really URGENT. Hope you will help me.

I need to write the imprint of a calendar in English, and I'm confused about how to draw it up correctly. So I wrote,
1) Loose-leaf wall calendar “the name of a calenar”

My questions are:
1. Is this sequence 1, 2, 3 correct, or I should write point 1, 3, and 2? See below
2. Should I write point 3 with the capitals, like "The Publishing & Printing House"? You should write the name the way they call themselves.
3. Do you write "loose-leaf" if it is characterized so, or you just write "Wall calendar" and that's enough? (I understand that it is a specific question, so it will be OK not to answer it)
4. Do you write the nouns in titles with capitals, like "Embankment of the River ...", or the variant "Embankment of the river ..." is OK? Either way is OK
5. And the last one. Do you write articles in titles, like "The Embankment of the River...."? Not necessarily, you write the title as it is given.

Thanks a lot to everyone who will respond to my request!!!
What is an imprint? Where does it go? For what purpose?
I've never seen anything in the format you've given.

My best guess, if it's to be printed on the calendar, as on the title page of a book:
Embankment of the River, loose-leaf calendar. 2010. Printed in Belarus by <Printing House> for <Publishing House>

Last edited:

youandcorey

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
The lay out example you've used is clear and easy to understand.
This sequence looks very straightforward:
1) Loose-leaf wall calendar “the name of a calenar”

-----
4. Do you write the nouns in titles with capitals, like "Embankment of the River ...", or the variant "Embankment of the river ..." is OK? Either way is OK
Yes I'd capitalize the proper nouns in a sentence.

5. And the last one. Do you write articles in titles, like "The Embankment of the River...."? Not necessarily, you write the title as it is given.
I think either way is fine.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you. Now I see that I did not express my questions quite clearly. So, as far as I understand:

1) I can begin a title both with or without article the, e.g. <The quay of the river Neman>, or <Quay of the river Neman>.

2) I can write all the notional parts of speech both with a capital and a small letter, e.g. <Quay of the River Neman>, or <quay of the river Neman>

In questions 1 and 2 I meant the order of lines, not the name of a publishing house
I was interested if I'd better write

"Artia Group"
the publishing&printing house
Or
"Artia Group"
Or
<Publishing & printing house "Artia Group"> in one line would be best?

Saying the word imprint I meant that this is what goes on the reverse of a calendar or the cover of a book, and names a product, its publisher, the address of a printing house, etc.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you. Now I see that I did not express my questions quite clearly. So, as far as I understand:

1) I can begin a title both with or without article the, e.g. <The quay of the river Neman>, or <Quay of the river Neman>.
Yes you can, but if it's a copy of a picture called "Quay ...", then that's what you call it.
2) I can write all the notional parts of speech both with a capital and a small letter, e.g. <Quay of the River Neman>, or <quay of the river Neman>
You should start the first word with a capital.
In questions 1 and 2 I meant the order of lines, not the name of a publishing house
I was interested if I'd better write

"Artia Group"
Or
"Artia Group"
Or
<Publishing & printing house "Artia Group"> in one line would be best?
I still advise what I suggested.

Saying the word imprint I meant that this is what goes on the reverse of a calendar or the cover of a book, and names a product, its publisher, the address of a printing house, etc.
To be honest, I don't think it really matters much, as long as you put the details somewhere.
Here's my latest suggestion:

Quay of the River Neman, loose-leaf calendar, 2010.
Printed in Belarus by <Printing House>, 234 King ST, Minsk.
for <Publishing House>, 345 Queen St, Minsk.

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Here's my latest suggestion:

Quay of the River Neman, loose-leaf calendar, 2010.
Printed in Belarus by <Printing House>, 234 King ST, Minsk.
for <Publishing House>, 345 Queen St, Minsk.

Got it. Thanks!

Can I ask something more?
1. If I have a phone number, where shall I put it?
2. What kind of inverted commas should I use with the name of a publishing house - "", '', or <>?
3. Shall I better use the word phone instead of telephone?
3. p.s. Actually, it is both a publishing and printing house. That's why I wrote it like <publishing & printing house "Artia Group">

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Got it. Thanks!

Can I ask something more?
1. If I have a phone number, where shall I put it? At the end.
2. What kind of inverted commas should I use with the name of a publishing house - "", '', or <>? Nothing. Just plain text, capitalised.
3. Shall I better use the word phone instead of telephone? Ph.
3. p.s. Actually, it is both a publishing and printing house. That's why I wrote it like <publishing & printing house "Artia Group">
You could write "Printed by Artia Group printers for Artia Group publishing".
Have you considered going to a stationery shop and reading what is printed on other calendars?

Mary Bright

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Have you considered going to a stationery shop and reading what is printed on other calendars?

:lol: If there were any calendars made entirely in English in my country I wouldn't have put all these questions to you. That really mattered to me to find out the information from a native speaker who must know how the things work with that staff. Anyway, thank you so much for you help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.