Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello there!

I've got a question: do the expressions "what's the matter with you/what's wrong with you?" mean the same as "what's the matter/what's wrong?"?

I have the feeling that the 1st expressions are more ironic, am I right?

CHeers

W

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello there!

I've got a question: do the expressions "what's the matter with you/what's wrong with you?" mean the same as "what's the matter/what's wrong?"?

I have the feeling that the 1st expressions can be used in a sarccastic way, am I right?

CHeers

W

Could someone help me please? :oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello there!

I have the feeling that the 1st expressions are more ironic, am I right?

CHeers

W

I would say they are almost identical. Neither is more ironic than the other, it really depends on the tone of voice used to say them.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The first, "......matter with you" and ".........wrong with you" are more personal and direct and could be considered somewhat argumentative or, as you say, sarcastic. The second examples "what's the matter"/"what's wrong" are less direct and used most often to inquire about a problem or situation that the speaker has noticed to be unusual behavior or reaction by the listener.

Status
Not open for further replies.