Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Salute,

I was solving some questions concerning The Conditional Forms. I encountered with this question and filled the blank with the answer of "will receive" but when I looked at the answer sheet I found that I must have filled it with "would receive."

If your friend makes a very important scientific contribution, she (receive) ______ a Noble prize.

We have got four forms of conditionals:

1) Present general
2) Future possible
3) Present unreal
4) Past unreal

I guess we must answer the above question with the second form of conditionals (Future possible). Therefore, "will receive" is correct. I know that 'would' will lessen the possibility and I have seen many of these forms in the ordinary conversations but I can't find the structure of the above sentence.

If the questioner had changed the question above like the following question then I would have answered and filled the blank with "would receive."

If your friend made an important scientific contribution, ...........

-------------

I want to ask an additional question regarding conditional forms. Which of the below sentences is correct? (The present or future tense is my intention.)

1) If you are interested in English, you can take part in our classes.

2) If you were interested in English, you could take part in our classes.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
... when I looked at the answer sheet I found that I should have filled it with "would receive."
"Must" doesn't work like that.
Their answer is wrong. You were right.
Both of your sentences (1 and 2) are correct.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

See the definition of Present unreal form: Use the present unreal form to describe an imagined situation in the present or in the future.

The sentence number 2 has made according to the rule of "Present unreal form." Although in that sentence 'past tenses' has used, based on the definition above it must denote future.

More information: Picture you go to an English institution and the manager of the institution tell you that:

If you were interested in English, you could take part in our classes.

Can we use the above sentence in that situation? and would you please explain what are the differences between sentence number 1 and 2?

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
No. The first suggests there is a real possibility of her making a contribution. The second suggests a less real possibility.

It seems that you are talking about my first question.

My answer was "will receive" and the answer sheet says "would receive."

'Would' suggests a less real possibility. As you and Raymott stated, my answer was correct. but this post seemingly says that both of the answers are correct.

I asked Raymott that what are the distinctions between the below sentences:

1) If you are interested in English, you can take part in our classes.

2) If you were interested in English, you could take part in our classes.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What do you say if you see a person for the first time and have got no information about his interests: which of the sentences below are correct?

1) If you are interested in English, you can participate in our classes.

2) If you were interested in English, you would take part in our classes.

While I was writing this post, your post (number 11) was not existed. After posting I saw your post. Please don't construe it as ignoring your speech.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
(Response to post #12)

Did you read post #11?

Yes, I read it.

Your first example matches with a conditional form and your second example matches with another conditional form in my language. If I had to translate them into Persian I would translate them into 2 different forms of condition. Although both of them make sense for me but with different meanings.

would you please answer my question in the post 12?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Would you please answer my question in [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] post 12?
Would you please give people time to draw breath/have breakfast/consider answers/attend to other important matters in their lives beyond this forum.

Lumia625

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Would you please give people time to draw breath/have breakfast/consider answers/attend to other important matters in their lives beyond this forum.

Raymott signed out during our discussion. I didn't complain why did he do that.

Piscean said would you please give us more time to survey your questions and I said yes definitely.

I guess they don't need another one to speak behalf them. They have tongues and can say what they want to say.

Thanks for correction.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Raymott signed out during our discussion. I didn't complain why did he do that.
I don't see forums as necessarily a medium on which you can have continuous discussions. Anyhow, I must have been called away to something in real life, which is not unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.