How do you pronounce "General", 2 or 3 syllables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Hi All,

Could you tell me how do you pronounce the word "General", it has 2 syllables or 3 syllables?

EngFan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi All,

Could you tell me how do you pronounce the word "General", it has 2 syllables or 3 syllables?

EngFan
gen·er·al/ˈjenərəl/

gen·er·al
(j
ebreve.gif
n
prime.gif
schwa.gif
r-
schwa.gif
l)

That's the general consensus.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Both the LPD and the Cambridge EPD give a superscript schwa for the sound after /n/, as Raymott does. EPD also gives a superscript schwa for the sound after /r/; LPD gives an italicised schwa. These indicate that the sound may be pronounced or omitted. If the latter, they give their syllabic character to the following consonant.

This suggests that, for many speakers, general has more than two syllables, but fewer than three. This may sound very strange, but it is often difficult, if not impossible, to decide whether syylabic consonants in such words as general, buttoning, bottling should be described as full syllables or not.

Incidentally, the symbol normally used in phonemic/phonetic transcription for the first sound in 'general' is ʤ.

tzfujimino

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hello.:-D
According to Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary, it is transcribed as:

BrE /ˈdʒenrəl/
NAmE /ˈdʒenrəl/

It might be irrelevant, but I can think of a word that has either three or four syllables:

stationary
BrE /ˈsteɪʃənri/
NAmE /ˈsteɪʃəneri/

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Incidentally, the symbol normally used in phonemic/phonetic transcription for the first sound in 'general' is ʤ.
Indeed it is. That was lax of me, not citing. I was merely hoping that EngFan would take the idea of consulting a few dictionaries. M-W doesn't use IPA. Here's the entry

gen·er·al/ˈjenərəl/

Adjective:
Affecting or concerning all or most people, places, or things; widespread: "books of general interest".
Noun:
A commander of an army, or an army officer of very high rank.
Synonyms:common - universal - generic - broad - public
More info »Wikipedia - Dictionary.com - Answers.com - Merriam-Webster

Status
Not open for further replies.