Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello,
This small text is given under the picture of an apartment block for sale. I am not sure if I can use 'plaster-coated structure', 'prospective images' and 'completion of the buidling'.

''Property owner apartments for sale for lower price than tenant builder apartments in the building under construction. 48 -450 square meters. Plaster-coated structure. The 10th and 11th floors. It is possible to buy a few apartments or reconstruct one according to your own project. Suitable for rental business. Located in the city centre on King street. See the prospective images of the building. The price of the area that doesn't exceed 100 square meters is $720 per square meters. For areas that exceed $100 square meters the price is negotiable.
It's quite a profitable investment as the price will be three times higher upon the completion of the buidling''.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What exactly do you mean by a plastic coated structure?
I have not heard of it, being in the construction line.

prospective images - I presume you mean the artist's impressions generated by computer.

completion of the building - yes, it is the same as the completion of the construction of the building.

I am not sure if you can say for sure that the value of the units will appreciate three times. There is such a thing called misrepresentation.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
''prospective images - I presume you mean the artist's impressions generated by computer''.-I mean the pictures of the building of what it will look like when the construction is completed.
''What exactly do you mean by a plastic coated structure? I have not heard of it, being in the construction line''.
I read on a Russian forum for translators, that builders apply anti-corrosion coat to black reinforcement cages which become white. So they call them black or white. It is a local slang expression. White if it has been applied. They suggest to use plaster-coated structure, but perhaps there is a better word to use to refer to it in English?

J

J&K Tutoring

1. From your description in reply to tedmc, I suggest you not use "plaster-coated structure" as it's pretty clear it is not plaster, whatever term local builders may use among themselves. I'm not a builder- certainly not a builder in Georgia- so I don't have a better suggestion. If your market is entirely local, then a local term may be acceptable (but it wouldn't be in English). If it is imperative you write this in English to reach a non-local market, then you need to do some research to find the correct universal term for this process.

2. "Prospective images" should be renderings.

3. "completion of the building" is more than necessary in this usage. 'Completion' is enough.

Property-owner units are offered at lower prices than tenant/builder units. Plaster-coated structure. 10th and 11th floors. 48-450 square meter units available. Invest in single unit(s) or combine according to your needs. Suitable for rental business. City centre location on King street. Please refer to renderings. Units less than 100m[SUP]2[/SUP] are $720/m[SUP]2[/SUP]. Units exceeding 100m[SUP]2[/SUP] are negotiable. This is quite a profitable investment opportunity as the offering price is projected to be three times higher upon completion.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I mean the pictures of the building of what it will look like when the construction is completed.

No, prospective images is not the term for it. Just pictures (of artist's impressions) would suffice.

The structure of apartment block is usually reinforced concrete framework i.e. concrete reinforced with steel bars (or black cage as you call it) embedded in it. The plastic-coated reinforcement cage is not the structure, so you cannot call it a plastic-coated structure. In any case, coating the steel bars is unnecessary as they are encased deep inside the concrete protecting them from corrosion (unless the structure is located in extremely corrosive environment such as seawater).

I assume you mean the main structure is reinforced concrete and interior dividing walls are brick (or perhaps some other material), all of which have been coated with a layer of plaster.

How does plastic come into the picture, based on this description?

J

J&K Tutoring

tedmc: First I saw of the word "plastic" was in your reply #2. OP only mentioned plaster.

At first I thought the structure was reinforced concrete, but now I wonder if it is in fact steel. I sometimes see steel with a sort of 'fuzzy' coating. I don't know what the correct term is, but maybe that's what she's trying to describe?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
1. By "plaster-coated structure' I assume you mean the main structure is reinforced concrete and interior dividing walls are brick (or perhaps some other material), all of which have been coated with a layer of plaster. If my guess is correct, this gives prospective buyers an idea of the state of finish and is quite acceptable. There was another sentence in the original. ''The consruction continues until plaster is applied''. I wrote ''plaster -coated structure'' instead. And ''See the recent pictures of the current state of the building.''

2. I'm not sure about "prospective images". I guess you mean renderings of how the building might look when complete. If I guess correctly, then renderings would be better than "prospective images". Yes, that's what I was talking about.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
tedmc: First I saw of the word "plastic" was in your reply #2. OP only mentioned plaster.

At first I thought the structure was reinforced concrete, but now I wonder if it is in fact steel. I sometimes see steel with a sort of 'fuzzy' coating. I don't know what the correct term is, but maybe that's what she's trying to describe?

For fire-protection, structural steel is spray-coated with a non-combustible material called vermiculite.
OK, I misread the word as I was reading from my smartphone. But "plaster-coated structure" as in concrete structure is not worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
For fire-protection, structural steel is spray-coated with a non-combustible material called vermiculite.
OK, I misread the word as I was reading from my smartphone. But "plaster-coated structure" as in concrete structure is not worth mentioning.
I see that in my original sentence ''in the building under construction'' was removed. Is it ungrammatical?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I see that in my original sentence ''in the building under construction'' was removed. Is it ungrammatical?

It is important to state the building is under construction as distinct from an existing building which a prospective buyer can move in immediately.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Plaster is an interior coating material that isn't weatherproof. The similar material applied to the exterior of a building is called stucco.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It is important to state the building is under construction as distinct from an existing building which a prospective buyer can move in immediately.

Perhaps my sentence was not correct. I really need to mention that.
Could you please check the follwoing sentence too. The consruction continues until plaster is applied''. (I wrote ''plaster -coated structure'' instead, but I am going to do some research and find a beter term) And ''See the recent pictures of the current state of the building.''

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The construction continues until plaster is applied

Why do you have to mention this? Isn't the construction going to proceed to completion?

See the recent pictures of the current state of the building

The pictures show the current progress of construction.

The paragraph in the first post need to be rewritten too.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Why do you have to mention this? Isn't the construction going to proceed to completion? I don't write these texts. I need to translate them for a friend.

Sorry, which paragraph are you talking about?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Why do you have to mention this? Isn't the construction going to proceed to completion?

See the recent pictures of the current state of the building- doesn't sound natural?
:-?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Sorry, which paragraph are you talking about?

This text needs rewriting:

Property owner apartments for sale for lower price than tenant builder apartments in the building under construction. 48 -450 square meters. Plaster-coated structure. The 10th and 11th floors. It is possible to buy a few apartments or reconstruct one according to your own project. Suitable for rental business. Located in the city centre on King street. See the prospective images of the building. The price of the area that doesn't exceed 100 square meters is $720 per square meters. For areas that exceed $100 square meters the price is negotiable.
It's quite a profitable investment as the price will be three times higher upon the completion of the buidling'

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

See the recent pictures of the current state of the building- doesn't sound natural?
:-?

Since the building is under construction, I do not think you can say "the current state of the building". You have pictures to show the progress of construction.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Since the building is under construction, I do not think you can say "the current state of the building". You have pictures to show the progress of construction.

I asked my friend who is a realtor to explain to me why local builders use the term ''white'' or ''black structure'' and she said the builders call it ''white'' if plaster was applied and black if i wasn't. In the so called ''black structure' ' there is no elecricity, no water pipes.. It it just an empty building with walls. Someone on the Rusisian forum suggeted to use ''Just finished masonry'' to refer to 'black structure'

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In the so called ''black structure' ' there is no electricity, no water pipes.

I can't imagine there are such buildings without electricity and water supply in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.