Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Here is the sentence: The big data has little do with company size.

Thanks,

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Your sentence really makes no sense. But "have little to do with" is similar to "have nothing to do with", except that the latter means that there is no relevance of one thing to another, while the former suggests that there is possibly at least some small relevance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The word "to" was missing from your original making it much harder to work out what was trying to be said. If it said "... has little do with ..." then it's a typo and the word "to" has been omitted between "little" and "do".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "to" was missing from your original making it much harder to work out what was trying to be said. If it said "... has little do with ..." then it's a typo and the word "to" has been omitted between "little" and "do".

Even with that addition, the meaning escapes me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I didn't even notice the missing 'to'! My explanation is for the term "to have little to do with something", which I took to be the question.
I guess from Mike's response, they don't use the term in AmE - unless being American has little to do with his response. Maybe he means that he still can't understand the example sentence - nor can I - rather than he can't understand the [incomplete] idiom in the title, or the question.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I didn't even notice the missing 'to'! My explanation is for the term "to have little to do with something", which I took to be the question.
I guess from Mike's response, they don't use the term in AmE - unless being American has little to do with his response. Maybe he means that he still can't understand the example sentence - nor can I - rather than he can't understand the [incomplete] idiom in the title, or the question.

It is the "big data" part that throws me. We use "have little to do with" in AmE.

Status
Not open for further replies.