English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

One of the points on the agenda of our department's latest sitting reads like this:

Approval of Mrs Ivanova's candidacy for an extention of the employment contract.

It is my on the fly translation. I do feel the choice of words is wrong here. What is usually used in English-speaking countries in similar situations instead of "approval"?

Some background.
According to the current legislation, tenured faculty are employed on a competitive basis, which means generally employment contracts are renewed yearly, every three years and five years.
Prior to submitting their applications and other relevant documentation to the governing bodies, each teacher's application has to be approved at sittings of their corresponding departments.

Thank you in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello,

One of the points on the agenda of our department's latest sitting reads like this:

Approval of Mrs Ivanova's candidacy for an extention of the employment contract.

It is my on the fly translation. I do feel the choice of words is wrong here. What is usually used in English-speaking countries in similar situations instead of "approval"?

Some background.
According to the current legislation, tenured faculty are employed on a competitive basis, which means generally employment contracts are renewed yearly, every three years and five years.
Prior to submitting their applications and other relevant documentation to the governing bodies, each teacher's application has to be approved at sittings of their corresponding departments.

Thank you in advance.
It depends on what is actually being considered. If Mrs Ivanova's candidacy is unanimously supported, you could use "Confirmation of ..."

However, "candidacy" may be the wrong word. If you are confirming her renewed tenure, you aren't merely confirming her candidacy for renewed tenure.
'If the deal is done, and it just needs rubber stamping by the committee, you could wirte, "Confirmation of renewed tenure for Mrs Ivanova."

If, as it appears, that you are voting to accept her nomination as a candidate for renewed tenure (a somewhat complex process!), you could write, "Acceptance of Mrs Ivanova's application for renewed tenure".

vectra

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It depends on what is actually being considered. If Mrs Ivanova's candidacy is unanimously supported, you could use "Confirmation of ..."

However, "candidacy" may be the wrong word. If you are confirming her renewed tenure, you aren't merely confirming her candidacy for renewed tenure.
'If the deal is done, and it just needs rubber stamping by the committee, you could wirte, "Confirmation of renewed tenure for Mrs Ivanova."

If, as it appears, that you are voting to accept her nomination as a candidate for renewed tenure (a somewhat complex process!), you could write, "Acceptance of Mrs Ivanova's application for renewed tenure".

The teacher, whose application we voted on, has worked at the university for four years, has taught demonstration classes, has written articles that were published in scientific magazines. Actually we recommended her after listening to the reports of the teachers who sat in on her demonstration classes and listening to her report on the work she had done. So, I think we confirmed renewed tenure for Mrs Ivanova.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The teacher, whose application we voted on, has worked at the university for four years, has taught demonstration classes, has written articles that were published in scientific magazines. Actually we recommended her after listening to the reports of the teachers who sat in on her demonstration classes and listening to her report on the work she had done. So, I think we confirmed renewed tenure for Mrs Ivanova.
Yes, if Mrs Ivanova has her tenure renewed by the decision at your meeting, then you have confirmed her renewed tenure.

Status
Not open for further replies.