Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
I know undies is the underwear for the girls' lower part of the body.
Then how about the one for boys and men?
........................................................................................................................

Do we call undies for little girls only?
How about the one for big girls?
........................................................................................................................

What do we call the underwear to cover the upper part of the body both for boys and men?
What do we call the underwear to cover the upper part of the body both for girls and women?
........................................................................................................................................................

Thank.

Ju

Michael84

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
not a teacher

underpants, panties, knickers, briefs etc.
Sorry, I don't know how to distinguish them by what gender uses them.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know undies is the underwear for the girls' lower part of the body.
'Undies', a rather twee contraction of 'underwear', can refer to any item of underwear. It is used almost exclusively by women for women's underwear.
Then how about the one for boys and men?
In BrE we traditionally referrred to what we wear under trousers as 'pants', short for 'underpants'. Now we often specify the type,'y-fronts', 'boxers', etc.

What do we call the underwear to cover the upper part of the body both for boys and men? It's a 'vest' in BrE.
I'll leave the questions about the naming of women's underwear to someone more knowledgeable than I.

emka

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
How about "singlet" for the upper body? I used to buy singlets in New Zealand, and they were sleeveless undershirts (women's underwear).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A singlet is indeed a sleeveless vest for men. I didn't know that women used the same word.

ps. a slip is a female garment worn under a skirt in BrE. Although the name is beginnning to appear on the packaging of such items of underwear in Britain, we don't use it in talking about them.

Ju

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Please correct me if I am wrong.

underwear for the upper part of the body for boys : undervest
underwear for the lower part of the body for boys : brief, boxer short, boxer

underwear for the upper part of the body for girls : undervest
underwear for the lower part of the body for girls : panties

Do I need to put "s" behind 'brief, boxer short, boxer'?

Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
underwear for the upper part of the body for boys : undervest.....It's just 'vest' in BrE.
underwear for the lower part of the body for boys : briefs, boxer shorts, boxers

underwear for the upper part of the body for girls : undervest...I don't think that many females, except very young girls, wear (under)vests these days.
underwear for the lower part of the body for girls : panties ...In BrE it's normally 'pants', sometimes 'knickers'.

Do I need to put "s" [STRIKE]behind[/STRIKE] on 'brief, boxer short, boxer'? Yes

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I appear to be the female team all on my own here so:

Little girls wear a vest and pants/knickers, collectively called underwear.
Once they have developed breasts, older girls wear a bra (brassiere).
From that point on, the underwear for the lower part of a girl's body can be called several things depending on personal choice and sometimes on the style of undwrwear - pants, panties, knickers, thongs, briefs, undies.

With "undies", even though it's a collective term, if a woman says "I'm not wearing any undies", she is referring to her lack of knickers. The listener wouldn't consider her to be talking about a bra.

Status
Not open for further replies.