Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello all,
I want to know what does 'bold text' mean?!

Here’s Dr Patricia Fara, senior tutor at Clare College Cambridge. She tells us why Darwin was so successful:

"He brought his allies on board. And although he was publishing from his stronghold down in Kent he had the most famous, most prominent, eminent members of the scientific society in Victorian times who were pushing on his behalf. Having a scientific theory being accepted is not just a matter of whether the theory’s right."

Source: BBC learning English
http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningenglish/english/features/6-minute-english/ep-150827

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sure you know what "he was publishing" means. He was doing it from a location in Kent and that location is referred to as his "stronghold". Did you look that word up in a dictionary?

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
As TheParser has participated, I hope I may also participate, but I am not a teacher.

Yesterday when I saw 'although', it sounded to me as if 'And although he was publishing from his stronghold down in Kent (which already gave him an advantage), he had the most famous, most prominent, eminent members (who gave him a further advantage) of the scientific society in Victorian times who were pushing on his behalf.'

Eckaslike

Member Type
Teacher (Other)
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Wales
I think that's right Matthew.

The "although" means that even though he was publishing from his home base in Kent, a place where one might expect to receive a lot of support, it was not that advantage which gained his theory acceptance. The author believes the main reason his theory was successfully accepted was because of all the help he had from people within the scientific establishment.

Almost along the lines of the old adage "It's not [just] what you know, it's who you know".

Last edited by a moderator:

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It means 'he was putting his theory into print and spreading it around the scientific community'.

'Down' is used as Kent is a county in the south of England.

Status
Not open for further replies.