Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Somewhere in my old memory I think I remember seeing a rule stating that after prepositions verbs should always come in gerund form. However, I have found the following sentences in the internet:

1) All essential for travel to Beijing.
2) Visitors may be aware that the USA has changed its entry procedures for travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme.
3) Five tips for travel to Canada.
4) Health information for travel to over 200 international destinations.

5) Revalidation of Expired Visas After Travel to Contiguous Territory.
6) ... consulting their doctors before and after travel to affected areas.

7) Thanks for come to Mexico!!!
8) Student visa required before travel to the UK.

Are these sentences grammatically correct?
Could/should one use "for traveling" and "after traveling" and so on?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
A preposition is usually followed by a so-called prepositional object (unless the preposition is stranded). This can only be realized by a noun. Both 'traveling' (gerund) and 'travel' (noun) are feasible, but I only ever saw the present participle form of 'travel' after prepositions.

Thanks for come to Mexico. :cross:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
A preposition is usually followed by a so-called prepositional object (unless the preposition is stranded). This can only be realized by a noun. Both 'traveling' (gerund) and 'travel' (noun) are feasible,

Do you mean in all those examples (except the Mexico one) one could use "traveling" or "travel" interchangeably?

but I only ever saw the present participle form of 'travel' after prepositions.
Please forgive me but I couldn't understand you quite well. Do you mean you have never seen the present participle of travel (traveling) after prepositions or the opposite?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Only nouns can follow a preposition. 'travel' may function as a noun. A gerund is a noun.
In 'Thanks for come to Mexico', 'come' is not a noun.

What are your conclusions?

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
'travel' may function as a noun. Only nouns can follow a preposition. A gerund is a noun.
In 'Thanks for come to Mexico', 'come' is not a noun.

What are your conclusions?

My main conclusion is that whenever someone tells me that I wrote something wrong after a preposition, I will tell him or her that it is functioning as a noun.
(I'm kidding)

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
I will tell him or her that it is functioning as a noun.

That is the most convenient defence strategy. I will adopt it too. :-D What would you say in this case: I look after he.?

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Somewhere in my old memory I think I remember seeing a rule stating that after prepositions verbs should always come in gerund form. However, I have found the following sentences in the internet:

1) All essential for travel to Beijing.
2) Visitors may be aware that the USA has changed its entry procedures for travel to the USA under the Visa Waiver Programme.
3) Five tips for travel to Canada.
4) Health information for travel to over 200 international destinations.

5) Revalidation of Expired Visas After Travel to Contiguous Territory.
6) ... consulting their doctors before and after travel to affected areas.

7) Thanks for come to Mexico!!!
8) Student visa required before travel to the UK.

Are these sentences grammatically correct?
Could/should one use "for traveling" and "after traveling" and so on?

Travel is a noun and works fine in each of these cases. (Come, of course, is not, so it's needs to be turned into the gerund, "coming".) Traveling can be used in each of these situations but for some reason it seems to be used less frequently. Why is this? I am not quite sure, but we would ordinarily say "travel tips" rather than "traveling trips." Travel has become a subject of great interest these days. Perhaps "travel" connotes more of the prepackaged vacation tour that is so popular. "Traveling" seems to be more of a longer-term adventure. And who has time for that these days?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do you mean in all those examples (except the Mexico one) one could use "traveling" or "travel" interchangeably?

Please forgive me but I couldn't understand you quite well. Do you mean you have never seen the present participle of travel (traveling) after prepositions or the opposite?

Here are a few sentences using present participle of travel as adjective of the nouns followed by prepositions.

This was explained to me by the traveling salesman of the company.
I have noted the point from the traveling allowance rules.

The grammatical rule is unambiguous about use preposition which should always be followed by a noun or pronoun. The verbs that follow a preposition functions as a noun but such use should be aimed at keeping the language efficient and clear. Normally any verb followed by preposition ‘to’ used as infinitive is also called a verbal noun but at times ‘ing’ form is found appropriate after some verbs; as:
I am dedicated to delivering something creative (Not to deliver).

Last edited:

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
In the sentences above, what is the object of the preposition "of"? Is the preposition "of" being followed by a verb?

I kind of know English.
We sort of borrowed it.
She kind of likes me.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I have checked, the word "about" may be a preposition, an adverb or even an adjective. It is really hard to study English. Well I checked it before presenting the following example to you:

"David felt as if he were a sheep about to be dipped against his will."

I was going to present the above example to you and ask what the object of the preposition about was. It seemed that the preposition "about" was not being followed by a noun/pronoun. However, I guess in this example "about" is not a preposition, right? So my question turns to "What is the function of the word 'about' in the example above?"

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In the sentences above, what is the object of the preposition "of"? Is the preposition "of" being followed by a verb?

I kind of know English.
We sort of borrowed it.
She kind of likes me.

Normally I would treat these sentences as structurally incorrect as non of these expresses a complete thought or the thought in not clear. However, in English, sort of, kind of are considered as phrases; meaning to some degree and function as adverb. The preposition has become a part of the phrase and lost its individual identity.

Last edited:

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have checked, the word "about" may be a preposition, an adverb or even an adjective. It is really hard to study English. Well I checked it before presenting the following example to you:

I was going to present the above example to you and ask what the object of the preposition about was. It seemed that the preposition "about" was not being followed by a noun/pronoun. However, I guess in this example "about" is not a preposition, right? So my question turns to "What is the function of the word 'about' in the example above?"

Here about is a preposotion having the inifinitive 'to be' as its object.

kfredson

Member Type
Academic

I kind of know English.
We sort of borrowed it.
She kind of likes me.

Yes, "kind of" and "sort of" are expressions that function as adverbs. They are colloquialisms -- and fairly weak ones at that -- which shouldn't be used in writing. On the other hand, if you use "the kind of" or "the sort of" you are back to expressions that are appropriate in writing. They mean something very different, however.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
'about' is an adverb here, sorry. It means very soon.

I think so. Initially I thought 'about to be dipped' as a prepostional phrase acting as adverb. After your post, I changed that idea. Thank you.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

***NOT A TEACHER***I don't know whether this is helpful, but I found this info in Otto Jespersen's grammar: The only preposition used nowadays before a to-infinitive is "about" = on the point of (He was ABOUT to retire). Oherwise a gerund is required after a preposition: He spoke about RETIRING. A more recent book by a professor gives this sentence: We are ABOUT to have a storm. He says "to have a storm" is introduced by "about," an ADVERBIAL MODIFIER.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
***NOT A TEACHER***I don't know whether this is helpful, but I found this info in Otto Jespersen's grammar: The only preposition used nowadays before a to-infinitive is "about" = on the point of (He was ABOUT to retire).

'be about to' in 'He was ABOUT to retire' is a semi-auxiliary, a verb idiom. That is a different kettle of fish. Jespersen's view is a veritable wonder to me.

"He felt as if he were a sheep about to be dipped against his will"

as if = a subordinator that introduces a non-finite clause (the verb is in subjunctive mood) that acts adverbially as the modifier of the verb 'felt'
were = linking verb
sheep = predicate nominative
to be dipped against... = adjectival clause modifying 'sheep'
about = adverb that modifies 'to be dipped'

Status
Not open for further replies.