Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

I went to a shopping mall a year or so ago for an interview. It took me two hours to get there. It is not far but I need to take two buses to get there. Yesterday I went there again, it was much quicker, only 30 minutes, due to the subway line. Here we have night different lines of trains going from this end to other ends of the city. Because of this new line, more and more people are going to that shopping mall. I wrote a sentence "With the new operation of the subway line, the shopping mall are visited by more people".

I wonder if the sentence is natural.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sentence is not correct as it is. There are many ways to fix it. Here's one:

The new subway line has seen more people visiting the mall.

And here's another more casual version, which is more natural as spoken:

Since the new subway line opened, there have been more visitors to the mall.

Remember to tell us in future if you want your sentences to be written or spoken, because it can make a big difference as to what sounds natural.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

I went to a shopping mall a year or so ago for an interview. It took me two hours to get there. It is not far but I had to take two buses to get there. Yesterday I went there again, it was much quicker, only 30 minutes, due to the subway line. Here we have night different lines of trains going from this end to other ends of the city. Because of this new line, more and more people are going to that shopping mall. I wrote a sentence "With the new operation of the subway line, the shopping mall is visited. by more people"

I wonder if the sentence is natural.

I don't know what "night different lines of trains" means.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Let's say there are many lines of subway trains going to different places. Line 1 starts from A and reaches B. Line 2 starts from C and ends at D. Of course, there are many stops between A and B, C and D.

And we have more than 9 different lines of subway trains going to different places.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
More to add:

One of my students who is a going to take an oral English test in his company, he asked me to help him asking the question (It was a bit urgent) and I also asked this question on WR. I asked the question here. Here's the link on WR. It's a sub forum merely open to members who have stayed there more than six months. And just now I got an answer from Elroy. Here's the link. Thank you so much. Next time I won't ask on both sides together. If it's urgent, I'll ask there. But here's a good place where I always learn perfect English!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
OK. It makes sense to have nine or more subway lines.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
More to add:

One of my students [STRIKE]who [/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] going to take an oral English test at his company. He asked me to ask a question for him.

Two things. One, what's the question? Two, say:

It's a subforum only open to members who have been there six months or longer.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel, you have an extra word in your correction box. You might want to make an additional correction to set the record straight. ;-)

J

J&K Tutoring

You can do better!

1. Verb tenses
2. Conjunctions
Here we have night different lines of trains going from this end to other ends of the city.
This one needs a lot of work. Try again.
4. Nouns and verbs need to agree in number.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two things. One, what's the question? Two, say:

It's a subforum only open to members who have been there six months or longer.

The question in the OP.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You can do better!

1. Verb tenses
2. Conjunctions
Here we have night different lines of trains going from this end to other ends of the city.
This one needs a lot of work. Try again.
4. Nouns and verbs need to agree in number.

:) Yes. My English needs improving.

I know exactly this sentence suffers from being unnatural but I don't know how to express myself better. I'd love to try more than I can. Here's my new attempt.

We have night different subway lines here in Chongqing and they go through different parts of the city.

The metro system is very similar to the one in Beijing. So I think J&K Tutoring you understand what I'm trying to say.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

With the new subway line, more and more people are going to the mall.

Silver, why didn't you stick with "nine lines"?

J

J&K Tutoring

I don't understand "... more than nine lines..." Does that mean there are ten? Subway lines are easily countable to report the actual number, I would think.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

Try this exercise:
Copy/paste your original post. Put a number 1 before the first sentence. At the end of that sentence, return to place the second sentence on a new line and place number 2 before it and so on to leave your original post intact but each sentence is separate and numbered. Now analyze each sentence according to the criteria I suggested and correct as needed. Hint: my suggestions are more-or-less in the order I found errors.

I think you know the rules of proper English grammar, you just need a way to look at each part separately.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word "night" needs to be corrected to "nine" in order to make the sentence make sense.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand "... more than nine lines..." Does that mean there are ten? Subway lines are easily countable to report the actual number, I would think.

I don't count the number and I can see there are one or two more lines running each year. So I guess it's more than nine lines.

Silver, why didn't you stick with "nine lines"?

Please see above, Tarheel. :-D

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Try this exercise:Copy/paste your original post. Put a number 1 before the first sentence. At the end of that sentence, return to place the second sentence on a new line and place number 2 before it and so on to leave your original post intact but each sentence is separate and numbered. Now analyze each sentence according to the criteria I suggested and correct as needed. Hint: my suggestions are more-or-less in the order I found errors.I think you know the rules of proper English grammar, you just need a way to look at each part separately.
1) I went to a shopping mall a year [STRIKE]or so[/STRIKE] ago for an interview; It took me two hours to get there. 2) It is * not far but I neede* to take two buses to get there. 3) Yesterday I went there again and it was much quicker. It took only 30 minutes due to the new subway line. 4) Here we have nine different lines of trains going from this end to other ends of the city. 5) Because of this new line, more and more people are going to that shopping mall. I wrote a sentence "With the new operation of the subway line, the shopping mall are visited by more people".*Now I can still reach the shopping mall within a two-bus ride. So I don't know if I should use past tense or present tense. If I use past tense, yes, this did happen already. But the fact is still there, I should stick to the present.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Silverobama, the word "night" needs to be corrected to "nine" in sentence 4. "Night different lines" is incorrect.

Where did you arrive at the nine lines figure? According to the Chongging Rail Transit site there are only five lines. Reference ;-)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Silverobama, the word "night" needs to be corrected to "nine" in sentence 4. "Night different lines" is incorrect.

Where did you arrive at the nine lines figure? According to the Chongging Rail Transit site there are only five lines. Reference ;-)

I will never lie to people who help me. I'm a Buddhist; I almost never lie to others. If I told one lie, I would use more than ten excuses to cover it up.

I know sometimes websites are so powerful that people even totally trust what they say, but not in your case, Amigos4. I don't know if there's someone updating that page but I'll swear there are more than nine subway lines going around the city. The newly one I mentioned in my OP is called Huan Xian, which means the subway goes around the city in a circular tour.

You're always welcome to visit my city and you'll be my guest. :-D

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I meant why didn't you stick with "nine lines" instead of using "night lines" more than once?

Status
Not open for further replies.