Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Luxembourg
Dear all,

I know that this point has been already discussed.
(https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/threads/161772-ing-vs-to-infinitive).

However, there are some cases where the difference between ing and to+infinite is not yet clear to me.
The above-mentioned post says that the main difference is that ing form is used when the action takes place in the past, to+inf when it takes place in the future.
What about the present?
The Cambridge dictionary suggests that ing put emphasis on the action itself while to+inf on preference.
(http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/verb-patterns-verb-infinitive-or-verb-ing):
ex1) I like to drink - (preference/habit)
ex2) I like drinking - (the action/process)

So far so good (this example comes from Cambridge).
ex3a) Figure 2 shows the probability of performing another activity before coming back home
vs
ex3b) Figure 4b shows the probability to perform another activity before coming back home

Are they both correct? Does 3a put emphasis on the process, while 3b on the preference/habit?

Thanks a lot !

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Did you read post #6 in the thread you are linking to?

GuidoCa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Luxembourg
Yes, I did. But I still cannot link this answer with my example 3. I can give it a try. As 5jj suggested, the rule does not fit many cases. He proposed one. However, the case he proposed is similar to example 1 and 2 from the Cambridge dictionary

Figure 2 shows the probability of performing another activity before coming back home. (right because it is a past/present action with respect to the current action – coming back home)
Figure 2 shows the probability to perform another activity before coming back home. (wrong because of the same reason)

The condition I find on Cambridge dictionary explains the verbs, which do not fit this idea. (as in example 1 and 2). Is that right?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am lost too.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think I prefer to stay lost.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
ex3a) Figure 2 shows the probability of performing another activity before coming back home
vs
ex3b) Figure 4b shows the probability to perform another activity before coming back home

Are they both correct? Does 3a put emphasis on the process, while 3b on the preference/habit?

Thanks a lot !

Only 3a is correct. Every phrase I can think of with the pattern "the xability" can only be followed by a gerund.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.