Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
what is the implication of using a perfect infinitive after the modal verbs in the following sentences?

- I suggested that he should have take a break.

Does this mean he didn't actually take the break and I'm speculating about something that didn't happen?

Since I would have said "... that he should take a break", I would like to know in what this differs from "... that he should have taken".

- I'd have thought he'd have jumped at the chance.
- He promised he would have posted it before 6 o'clock.

Same questions as above, but here I am more certain that this implies he didn't actualy jump at the chance, or didn't post it before that time.

If I said "...he'd jump at the chance" and "... that he'd post it", I don't specify where he did the action or not because I'm placing myself before the events where supposed to have taken place, i.e. at the time of my thinking, or his promise, right?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
what is the implication of using a perfect infinitive after the modal verbs in the following sentences?

- I suggested that he should have taken a break.

Does this mean he didn't actually take the break and I'm speculating about something that didn't happen? Yes.

Thanks.
Bhai.

licinio

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Ok. Just saying "I suggested he should take a break" would be possible, I expect, whether he took it or not? Only I'm not underlying he didn't take it, contrary to my suggestion, right?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Ok. Just saying "I suggested he should take a break" would be possible, I expect, whether he took it or not? Only I'm not underlying he didn't take it, contrary to my suggestion, right?
Yes, "I suggested he should take a break" is fine and it doesn't tell us whether he took it or not.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The answer depends on whether we are talking about reported speech or not. Generally modal constructions do not backshift in reported speech*.

In these examples, I have used 'he'; 'you is a little unnatural sometimes:

1. "He should take a break." =
It would be a good idea if he took a (present-, general- or future- time) break. I don't know whether he will follow my advice.
2. "He should have taken a break" = It would have been a good idea if he had taken a (past-time) break, but he didn't.

3. "I suggest he take a break." - similar to #1.

1a. I suggested (that) he (should) take a break. The reporting of #1 and #3. It is not known whether he took a break.
2a. I suggested (that) he should have taken a break.The reporting of 2. He didn't take a break.

(*This means that we cannot tell from the words He said that he would resign if I didn't give him a rise whether the original statement was a first or second conditional)

licinio

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thanks fivejedjon, your reference to indirect speech clarified everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.