extend the ''frontier'' of their outreach or simply extend their outreach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Ko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hello everyone:-D

I am wondering if this sentence ''...extend the frontier of their outreach'' is verbose and shall be shortened as ''extend their outreach.''

Hope you guys could kindly help me with this question.

Thanks a million in advance!

EnglishLearner1990

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
What is the source of your material, please?
We need a complete sentence.
(I am not a teacher.)

James Ko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Hi,

Well, I just want to say ''museums extend the frontier of their outreach'' and wondering if that sounds right.

Any comments are welcome!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi,

Well, I just want to say ''museums extend the frontier of their outreach'' and wondering if that sounds right.

Any comments are welcome!
That makes less sense than the original. Can you write a full sentence, and a description of what you'd like it to mean? It might be a redundant phrase, but we can't say.

James Ko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thanks, Raymott.

The context is simply. I'd like to say technology helps museums extend the frontier of their outreach (services). It sounds a little bit awkward, but I think simply saying ''technology helps museums extend their outreach'' is not very emphatic. So I need you inputs.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thanks, Raymott.

The context is simply. I'd like to say technology helps museums extend the frontier of their outreach (services). It sounds a little bit awkward, but I think simply saying ''technology helps museums extend their outreach'' is not very emphatic. So I need you inputs.
There's nothing wrong with "technology helps museums extend their outreach" if you're going to use that in a context in which the meaning is clear - eg. by giving an example of what you mean.

James Ko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
There's nothing wrong with "technology helps museums extend their outreach" if you're going to use that in a context in which the meaning is clear - eg. by giving an example of what you mean.

but could I emphasize this by putting ''frontier'' in the sentence?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's not a good choice. You can perhaps use "expanding their footprint" or talk of casting a wider net, but they are not going where no one has gone before.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
but could I emphasize this by putting ''frontier'' in the sentence?
Sorry, I couldn't say without knowing in simple, straightforward English what the phrase is supposed to mean. It could mean anything from adding an extra wing to getting an extra hour on PBS to sourcing fossils from further afield. No, adding 'frontier' does not help clarify the meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.