Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I can't imagine there are such buildings without electricity and water supply in this day and age.

In the building -yes there is, but not in flats. The new owner of a flat hooks up electricity/water.

J

J&K Tutoring

I suggest you refrain from using the word pictures, as it's too general to have a useful meaning. I can draw a picture (poorly), I can paint a picture (even worse!), and I can 'take' a picture. Better to use the words photograph or rendering, depending on how the image was created.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

Same here in China. When you buy an apartment, you get the very bare shell. Probably there are (the absolute cheapest) exterior windows just to keep the birds out and make the building presentable from the outside to prospective buyers, but there is nothing inside. Wiring is run in ugly plastic channels on the surface or grooves are chiseled into the concrete or brick walls and wires are laid into the grooves. Then plaster covers the grooves. Not really a bad system, just different.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In the building -yes there is, but not in flats. The new owner of a flat hooks up electricity/water.

Well, in that case the utility supply lines are there ready for the unit owners to hook up with.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Same here in China. When you buy an apartment, you get the very bare shell. Probably there are (the absolute cheapest) exterior windows just to keep the birds out and make the building presentable from the outside to prospective buyers, but there is nothing inside. Wiring is run in ugly plastic channels on the surface or grooves are chiseled into the concrete or brick walls and wires are laid into the grooves. Then plaster covers the grooves. Not really a bad system, just different.

What do you call them in China? What if I ''use plaster-coated apartments wih utility lines installed?'' butn the second case where there are walls wihout plaster and literary nothing inside what would you call such aprtments?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
What do you call them in China? What if I ''use plaster-coated apartments wih utility lines installed?'' butn the second case where there are walls wihout plaster and literary nothing inside what would you call such aprtments?

I would call it "apartment with bare finish/plaster finish". But then, the wall finish is not the only type of finish in a building/apartment. There are other finishes for the floors, ceilings, bathrooms, etc.

It is better than you write out the full text rather than take terms out of context.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have no idea if it's the right term within the trade, but an apartment where even the walls haven't been finished off to cover the wiring etc sounds like a "shell" to me.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
]I would call it "apartment with bare finish/plaster finish". But then, the wall finish is not the only type of finish in a building/apartment. There are other finishes for the floors, ceilings, bathrooms, etc. You are right but since they only specify the wall finish I will use ''apartment with plaster finish'' and for ''shells'' ''apartment with bare finish'' as you suggest

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This text needs rewriting:

I will change my sentence (....than tenant builder apartments in the building under construction'') into ''The building is under construction''. Would it OK?
Why is it wrong to use ''reconstruct or rebuild it according to your own project'' in this sentence below?
''It is possible to buy a few apartments or reconstruct one according to your own project''

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An exterior plaster coating is called stucco. You can say it's a stuccoed building.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I will change my sentence (....than tenant builder apartments in the building under construction'') into ''The building is under construction''. Would it OK?
Why is it wrong to use ''reconstruct or rebuild it according to your own project'' in this sentence below?
''It is possible to buy a few apartments or reconstruct one according to your own project''
When you say reconstruct or rebuild, it means the building is gone. So those are the wrong words.

If a building needs work, you can use verbs like repair, remodel, update, modernize, repair, renovate, and rehab. They all have slightly different meanings, so look them up if you're not familiar with them.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

I do not understand what you mean by "than tenant builder apartments".
reconstruct or rebuild it according to your own project - Do you mean renovate the completed(d) units to suit your own requirements. "To reconstruct" is to tear down something constructed and rebuild it again.
If more space is required, prospective buyers could take up multiple units and renovate them to suit their own requirements.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
- ''Do you mean renovate the completed(d) units to suit your own requirements. "To reconstruct" is to tear down something constructed and rebuild it again''. That's what some people do. They tear down their new flat and remodel it. Not the whole building of course but the new flat which is gone and then rebuilt again.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
- ''Do you mean renovate the completed(d) units to suit your own requirements. "To reconstruct" is to tear down something constructed and rebuild it again''. That's what some people do. They tear down their new flat and remodel it. Not the whole building of course but the new flat which is gone and then rebuilt again.

You can put that is one of the options to propective buyers of the apartments who may need a bigger unit

Now back to the original objective of your posts, which I understand is an advertisement by a realtor for the sale of units in an apartment block in the progress of construction.
Let us have a look at the write-up.

J

J&K Tutoring

Rachel Adams- I think one of the reasons we are rather going in circles is that there are roughly two types of construction in high-rise buildings. In very general terms they are:

1. Steel structure, where sectional steel vertical columns are joined with horizontal members. Floors are reinforced concrete.
2. Reinforced concrete, where both vertical and horizontal members are made of concrete with bundles of reinforcing bars embedded. I think there is a limit as to how high this construction can go, though I don't know what that limit might actually be. The building I live in was built this way. It's nine floors because in China, if you have more than nine floors, you have to build in an elevator.

I think the primary area of misunderstanding is with the word
plaster. Look in your dictionary and notice there are several meanings- both nouns and verbs- so that may be part of the 'loss in translation'.

If we assume non-finished interior spaces offered for sale:

A. In #1 the bare steel would have to be protected from corrosion by some coating, and perhaps this coating is locally called "plaster". It may look rather like plaster, but is not actually plaster, and some other term should be used if an accurate description is needed in English. I don't know what that might be. I guess this is your situation.
B. In #2 the as-poured concrete piers, walls, and ceilings may actually be coated with plaster to even out irregularities and make the space more attractive to prospective buyers.

I am confident that "a pasty composition (as of lime, water, and sand) that hardens on drying and is used for coating walls, ceilings, and partitions" is not being applied to steel structural members as in A. above.

Last edited:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I think the primary area of misunderstanding is with the word plaster. Look in your dictionary and notice there are several meanings- both nouns and verbs- so that may be part of the 'loss in translation'.

I am no longer lost in translation. Yes, they were talking about plaster that walls and ceilings are coated with. Steel structural members are coated with something else as you say and thankfully I didn't have to write about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
''Let us have a look at the write-up''. I had more information about building nuances. I added rewritten sentences only. The numbers are different.
''Property-owner unfurnished units are offered at lower prices than builder units in an under-construction building. From 56 to 570 square meters. 7th and 8th floors. Panoramic views. It is possible to buy a few units or convert them into one to suit your own requirements. Renovated until semi-furnished. The pictures show the current progress of construction.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can't tear down a single unit. If there's a unit upstair, it will fall. If there's a unit downstairs, it will get water damage from rain.

You can gut it. I'm sure that's the word you want.

And have you looked up stucco and stuccoed yet? Does it fit?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You can't tear down a single unit. If there's a unit upstair, it will fall. If there's a unit downstairs, it will get water damage from rain.

You can gut it. I'm sure that's the word you want.

And have you looked up stucco and stuccoed yet? Does it fit?

Whether the internal walls of an apartment unit within a multi-storey building can be removed depends on the type of structure. If it is a framework structure, the frame takes the load of the building while the walls are non-load bearing. If it is a load-bearing wall structure, then the walls cannot be removed. The building that OP described is more likely to be the former.

Yes, stucco is a term used to refer to external wall plaster in some countries, not all. The term "plaster" is used to refer to bother external and internal in others. Anyway, I thought the prospective apartment buyer would be more interested in the finishes used inside the unit (which is not mentioned) rather than the exterior.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I had more information about building nuances.
What do you mean by "nuances". Details of the building? I don't think the word is appropriate with buildings.

I added rewritten sentences only. The numbers are different.

''Property-owner unfurnished units are offered at lower prices than builder units in an under-construction building.
Individual-owned unfurnished units are offered at lower prices than those direct from the builder/developer. (The builder builds whereas the developer sells, unless they are the same company)

From 56 to 570 square meters. 7th and 8th floors. Panoramic views.
Floor areas range from 56(are you sure? not 560?) to 570 sq.m. Units on 7th and 8th floors have panoramic views.

It is possible to buy a few units or convert
(join) them into one to suit your own requirements.

Renovated until semi-furnished.
Units will be semi-furnished (with built-in cabinets, etc.)

The pictures show the current progress of construction.
You could use "photos" as Tutoring suggested but I do not see the problem since they accompany your description.

See comments above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.