Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"When I used to go to the office. I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tufguy, after seeing how frequently you post questions (this OP was at 2:09), I'm going to suggest you post fewer questions, and take the time to more carefully proofread for basic errors you should already know. I think you're unable to digest and internalize feedback when you're so busy posting such a steady stream of questions.

Give yourself time to check your posts against feedback you've previously received. It's frustrating to see such a steady stream of questions when most of them contain feedback on issues we've corrected you on before, such as incomplete sentences, punctuation, and article usage (errors prevalent in the unanswered questions below).

You've been posting at a rate of a question every two minutes! There's no way to effectively digest feedback at that rate. Perhaps that's why you keep making so many basic errors.

I feel like this, too, has perhaps been suggested in the past.

manyquestions.jpg

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"When I used to go to the office I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Tufguy, after seeing how frequently you post questions (this OP was at 2:09), I'm going to suggest you post fewer questions, and take the time to more carefully proofread for basic errors you should already know. I think you're unable to digest and internalize feedback when you're so busy posting such a steady stream of questions.

Yes, I think you are right but I don't know what to do. I come up with a lot of questions everyday but now I post only four questions per day but I think I will have to reduce it to two. Could you please suggest me a way that can be helpful to me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You were told more than once recently that 'every day' in this context has to be written as two words.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay I understand. Could you please check this? I mean I posted this so please check this. "When I used to go to the office. I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See below.

tufguy, what is your purpose of asking a question here if you pay no attention to the answers?

Sorry, actually I copied the first one by mistake instead of the second one in which I had done the ammendment.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Okay I understand. Could you please check this? I mean I posted this so please check this. "When I used to go to the office I used to feel hungry when it wasn't the dinner time and I would stop feeling hungry by the dinner time or when it was time to eat dinner."

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I guess the following is your intended meaning.

'When I was an office worker, I used to feel hungry during office hours, and the feeling would disappear during mealtimes.'

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would prefer I used to feel not hungry.

The not should go with the adjective (hungry versus not hungry) but I think your way is okay (to feel hungry versus not to feel hungry).

There are other, perhaps better ways of expressing this, of course.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In descending order of naturalness:

I didn't use to feel hungry....
I used not to feel hungry....
I used to feel not hungry....

The last seems extremely unnatural to me.

You will often see the first written didn't used to. This is a mistake.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I used not feel hungry ...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In descending order of naturalness:

I didn't use to feel hungry....
I used not to feel hungry....
I used to feel not hungry....

I feel that all three make sense but the second is the least natural. The use naturally wants to connect to the to.

The problem with the first (didn't use to) is that it's a negation of the habit, not the hunger. So it has a slightly different meaning despite sounding natural. I think Tufguy is saying there was a habit, of being hungry, then of that hungriness disappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.