Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Helping others is a habit, _______ you can learn even at an early age.

A. it B. that C. what D. one (the given answer is D)

Would native English speakers use 'learn' in this sentence? Would 'form/acquire/develop/get' be more natural when we referto a habit?

Thank you in advance.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Would native English speakers use 'learn' in this sentence? Would 'form/acquire/develop/get' be more natural when we referto a habit?

Thank you in advance.

Dear joham,

The purpose of the test is grammar not vocabulary or collocation, but now you mention it, I have to say they are all good; personally, I would choose develop - that's just a preference.
Learn a habit is acceptable too. When a child copies his parents' behaviors, she is actually leaning them.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Thank you in advance.

Could you help me with this ?

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear joham,

The purpose of the test is grammar not vocabulary or collocation, but now you mention it, I have to say they are all good; personally, I would choose develop - that's just a preference.
Learn a habit is acceptable too. When a child copies his parents' behaviors, she is actually leaning them.

Dear chester,
Thank you for your help. I saw there was one reply and tried to open the page four times, but the page wouldn't appear. Then I posted my question again, and there was your reply. It was strange; I had never experience such a situation. But I got your kind help after all. Thank you againl.

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
That's O.K.
You're welcome.

joham

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I searched Mark Davies's BNC, COCA, COHA and the Time corpus (with a total of one billion words), there are only four sentences that contain the construction of 'learn a/the habit'. Is it idiomatic or acceptable to native English speakers?

Thank you again.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
OK, but try this one:
It's certainly acceptable and learn bad habits is a natural-sounding collocation to me, which is why I chose it as a search. You obviously can use many other verbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.